Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15125 Discussions

Intel Core i7 3630QM Safe Temperatures and TJMax

idata
Employee

Hi. This is my first post here, so forgive me for any mistakes or if this is in the wrong section.

I recently got an Acer Aspire V3 - 471G. It comes with an Intel Core i7 3630QM.

Now, the thing is, this laptop is fourteen inches. A rather mid to high end CPU in this small laptop causes high temperatures.

I know that the TJMax is 105'C. With turbo boost enabled, it easily reaches 90+ (99'C maximum, as that is when the fan really starts spinning fast).

Other than that, the fan is quite, well, silent. I use this as a desktop replacement, and don't care about battery life.

--Are these temps dangerous? How will they affect CPU lifetime?

--What is TJMax? I understand that it is a maximum before the CPU throttles or shuts down, but is it the absolute limit or is it the maximum at which Intel wants the processor continuously running?

I searched everywhere, no results. I hope my questions will be answered here.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FGonz6
New Contributor III

Hello Inzam Ahmed,

Please run the following application to stress out the processor and monitor with software what's the max temperature reached during stress.

Intel® processor diagnostic Tool:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

Now, confirm what the temperature is in idle.

It's known that high temperatures reduce the lifetime of each part of the unit and may affect software executions.

However, most of the laptops come with fan control software that may help you optimize your unit to be properly cool down.

About Tjuntion, it's like you pointed out the max temperature that your CPU can reach. In case that it overpasses this measure it will automatically shutdown to prevent damage to the unit.

Regards,

0 Kudos
PSan
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same issue and the same question, but I'm not fully satisfied with the answer above. Nor do I think the first person was, as it still shows as "not answered".

The question, as I understand it, is: does the laptop cpu (i7 3630QM) work safely between 90-100'C, or will doing so reduce its life? If not, what are the recommended working temperatures?  

Thanks in advace,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, sanwablo:

To allow optimal system operation and long-term reliability, the processor must not exceed the maximum case temperature specifications as defined by the applicable thermal profile, and this case the maximum for this processor is 105C, so if you run your processor around 90-100C it should not harm your system.

The minimum Tjunction is 0C and maximum is 105 C any temperature between these two is safe;

For further reference http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-family-mobile-vol-1-datasheet.html Mobile 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Datasheet, Vol. 1.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PSan
Beginner

Hello, Amy,

Thank you very much. That is very clear.

Best wishes,

Pablo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos