Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15135 Discussions

Intel Core i9 12900KS temps- did I damage it?

CycloneS
Beginner

Just wondering what a safe 24/7 temp is under load for the Intel Core i9 12900KS and was wondering if I degraded my cpu.

I recently put together a new system. It took me awhile to install windows and software before I realized my temps were well over 90 degrees. Maybe for 2 days like that. However It wasn't under full load for most of those days. I then lowered the voltage from 1.646 down to 1.320 volts. And was able to get my temps down to around 87 degrees under load.

I am just curious if i might have damaged the cpu cuzz. I get very low scores in CINEBENCH 3.0. See screenshot.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @CycloneS

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

To help us grasp the situation more clearly, could you please share the following details?

• When did this problem first arise? Did it occur after any alterations to software or hardware? (Talking about overheating)

We're inquiring about this because, judging from the images and the data at hand, the CPU temperature appears to be behaving normally. Considering you're equipped with an Intel® Core™ i9 12900KS Processor, it's worth noting that the TJUNCTION is set at 90°C. It'd be beneficial to understand if these temperature readings surpass the 90°C threshold only during specific instances, such as when you're engaged in gaming or handling resource-intensive tasks.

For our better understanding, please provide us with the following files:

SSU: Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

IPDT: Download and run the **Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT)**. Please provide the actual screenshot of the result (whole page) and the log notes. (Click File > View results file (it will open a notepad) > file then save as (by default file name is TESTRESULTS.TXT)).

We need this file to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor. The diagnostic tool checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and performs a stress test on the processor.

XTU: Download and run the CPU Stress Test (5 minutes) using **Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)**. Kindly provide the screenshot while the test is ongoing (about 3 minutes) and after the test is finished. Please make sure the whole page is seen including the graphs.

We need this file to monitor the performance and the power usage of the CPU.

Furthermore, you mentioned that you've undertaken the process of undervolting your CPU. It's important to be aware that such actions come with inherent risks, including:

·        Stability Issues: Undervolting too aggressively can lead to system instability, crashes, or even data corruption.

·        Performance Impact: If the CPU voltage is lowered too much, the CPU might not be able to maintain its default clock speeds under heavy workloads, which could impact performance.

·        Warranty Concerns: Undervolting might void your CPU's warranty, so it's important to understand the implications for your specific hardware. According to our information, altering clock frequency or voltage may void any product warranties and reduce the stability, security, performance, and life of the processor and other components. You can check this information in the article What Is Undervolt Protection and How Does It Affect Overclocking in Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)?

In this case, if you are still having issues related to Overheating, feel free to check this article:

Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors.

We will be waiting for the reports, kindly take into account all the information we've shared with you.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CycloneS
Beginner

Which is worse? Lower voltage or higher temperatures?

The problem first arised when I first turned on my computer after building it. The image I provided is with the lower voltage and I manualy set the TJUNCTION to 90°C Max to keep the temps down.

I set the BIOS Settings to default for the scans you requested.
While running that SSU scan the temps got to 97+ C. two of the cores got to 100 degrees. The Core Temp program said the TJMax is 100C....

While running the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT) with in a few seconds my temps got to 99C. So I shut down my pc right away and went into the bios and manually set the TJunction from auto to 90C then ran the test again. During the test the temps were a constant temp of 89C.

Another note. During rendering the cpu gets throttled and I get lower scores in CINEBENCH 3.0. When I undervolt the cpu I don't get throttling and I get a better score...

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
CycloneS
Beginner

I'm a little confused every thing I read says under volting is safe... see link.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-undervolting-safe-while-overclocking-kinda-risky

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @CycloneS

Thank you for your reply.

We agree with you undervolting can offer energy savings, temperature reduction, and potentially prolonged hardware life. However, these benefits come with the risk of instability, performance degradation, and possible hardware damage if done improperly. It's crucial to research and follow guidelines when attempting undervolting and to monitor the system's stability after making changes. When done correctly, it is beneficial because it can improve system stability and extend hardware life.

In addition to this information, we will proceed to verify all the information and files you shared with us, conduct further investigation, and once we have more information, we will be back with you. Thank you.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @CycloneS

Thank you for your patience.

Based on our information, we recommend the steps of the article since the XTU is showing throttling. What Is Throttling and How Can It Be Resolved?

Also, we suggest to check with the motherboard OEM how to load BIOS default settings in case you have issues doing it.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello CycloneS

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello CycloneS

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos