Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14727 Discussions

Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology Driver device constantly reading and writing to disk. WUDFHost.exe

TimNielsen
Beginner

The process WUDFHost.exe is writing to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Intel\ipfsrv

2023-10-27_12-20-21.png

This is on a Windows 11 x64 LEnovo X1 Carbon Gen 10 device.  This does not seem to be a problem on Windows 10.

I believe the issue is related to Intel's DTPF driver but I haven't confirmed.  Does anyone at Intel know what is going on here?

This problem is noticeably slowing down the systems it affects.  I will be posting same thing on Lenovo forums.  Seems like a driver issue with power management/throttling etc.  I did go into the BIOS and disable Intel Speedstep and all other power management options.  The problem SEEMS to have improved after doing that BUT it did not go away by any means.  Screenshot above was taken after disabling all those power management options in the BIOS.

Intel® Platform Innovation Framework for UEFI Specification

Seems to be the service doing it but I believe there is a driver problem here on Windows 11.  I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimNielsen
Beginner

I figured out this is all related to the Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology device drivers.  Upon disabling those devices, the problem ceased.  Stopping the Intel services had no effect.  Had to disable the device driver.  It's running through WUDFHost.exe and it's still writing to that location I listed above but it's doing at a less alarming rate.

I ended up updating 3x firmware on the system. 

2023-10-27_17-03-10.jpg

Since installing these firmware updates, the system is running a lot better.  However, I still think there's something wrong with that Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology driver.

Not closing the book on this yet.

0 Kudos
TimNielsen
Beginner

Well, that didn't fix it.  Issue returned.

Over a 2.5 minute period, the WUDFHost.exe process (that is handling the Dynamic Tuning Technology User Mode Driver), read and wrote to 12,500 times per file in the folder.  There are 8 files that it's constantly creating and reading.  So that's 12,500 * 8 = 100,000 operations in a 2.5 minute period of disk access.

That's not even counting the registry reads and writes this is doing.  I did some more investigating and it appears that this is also used by the Intel Innovation platform Framework.  So more than just the Dynamic Tuning is responsible.  HOWEVER, if you disable only the dynamic Tuning software device in device manager.  The numbers drop substantially.

I except a software device like this to access the disk and registry occasionally, but there is absolutely something wrong with the Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology software device driver.

Screenshot for details on the files it's reading and writing multiple times a second.  This is not the data that I referenced above, I cleared that procmon.

2023-10-27_17-24-33.jpg

0 Kudos
TimNielsen
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is the weekend, so be patient.  "Community support is provided during standard business hours (Monday to Friday 7AM - 5PM PST)."

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
TimNielsen
Beginner

Confirmed that the previous version of the driver also has this issue.  I would assume this driver is the same for all ADL platform.  Anyone out there with ADL willing to do a procmon for me?

Setup your procmon with the following filters to easily see the issue.  

Operation contains File

Path contains C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Intel\ipfsrv\

I just tried downgrading the driver to a version from march but no change.  Also confirmed this is happening on all Windows 11 ADL machines in my company.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @TimNielsen  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please be aware that we can help you with testing your processor's health, processor issues, and graphics/wireless problems (Graphics Forum, Wireless Forum). 

However, since the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) Driver is provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), we recommend you contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance with this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
TimNielsen
Beginner

Sigh, ok.  I've already done that but I am looking for more support on the issue.  This is not just a "me" problem.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @TimNielsen  

Thank you for your reply. 

I understand your discomfort about your issue, however, Computer manufacturers can customize how Intel® DTT works in their driver software. If you are experiencing issues with Intel® DTT, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them. 

This is specified in the public article about Intel® DTT, at the end: Intel® Dynamic Tuning Technology (Intel® DTT) User Guide 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @TimNielsen    

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. 

If you need assistance with other matters, please feel free to contact us and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
sebastienbo
Beginner

He is not replyijg because you are not helping with all your questions.

You are not investigating yourself, you are making him do all the work...

Is certainly is not pltaform dependand, because I have the same problem on a dell sff computer and a ASUS rog gaming laptop.

This problem seems to exist only on windows 11 machines and in combination with the latest Intel CPU's

I suspect it might have to do something with the  Efficiency cores (re-priotizing all the time)

0 Kudos
sebastienbo
Beginner

There is deffinitly a problem.

I noticed the same problem. The writes are so intensive that they slow down any pc.

Especially when comming out of sleep mode, then this process acts like a resource hungry process attacking the SSD like a mad man

I hope they will find a fix.

Maybe the developers have some verbose logging on, and forgot to disable it?

Clayzor
Beginner

This silly component and I have had some good times. So far... around 50 hours on the phone with Dell L3 support, and about 100 hours on the chat. I told the last person I was going to send a bill for my services. This has been an ONGOING PROBLEM for a while now. Intel still chooses to blame Dell, Dell blames Intel. And those poor CSM's are stuck in the middle. 

0 Kudos