Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15013 Discussions

Intel Processor ID Utility Reporting Low CPU Speed on i7 920

idata
Employee

As the title states, the utility shows the "expected" CPU speed is 2.67 ghz on this processor, however, it is "reporting" at 1.59 ghz. I'm not sure whats causing this because the two speeds should match. I have already done an RMA for a new processor with the same results. I've tried various MB bios settings but nothing has helped. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R MB. Any input would be great. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Help!!!

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Check here:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/products/desktop/processor/processors/core2duo/tech/203838.htm

You can either disable it in BIOS or select "Performance" in Control Panel => Power. But I'd recommend you enable it after the test because EIST can give you better performance per watt.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward, thank you for the response. I already tried this and disabling EIST actually reduced the speed to 1.42GHz.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

This is weird... What is the PIU version you are running? What's your operating system? Can you generate a report from PIU and attach here?

You may also want to check thermal - thermal issues may cause processor throttling so that it runs at a lower frequency. Check if fan heatsink is properly attached, and thermal grease is properly attached. Check your board vendor if CPU temperature can be monitored in BIOS of using software.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks again for the reply. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64. What is PUI? To give some background info. I contacted Intel and they had me do an exchange for the process and the new processor produced the same results. They have no further answers and have asked me to reinstall the OS and call the motherboard manufacturer if the OS reinstall doesn't work. I did contact Gigabyte, the MB manufacturer and they have'nt given me any solutions that work either. I have a feeling its a MB issue. The fan, heatsink and head paste are all in good order. The CPU temperature is at a cool 41 celcius as per the bios.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Sorry it's a typo - should be PIU = Processor ID Utility

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The latest, v4.2. I have also have cpu-z which gives the same results.

0 Kudos