Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14586 Discussions

Intel Turbo Boost causing crashes/ blue screens

HIm00
Beginner

Hi guys,

Recently I have been having random crashes or BSODs while gaming on my PC. After going the the BIOS and adjust a few options, it seems turning off Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology from my BIOS solved it, but I'm sure it was not supposed to happen in the first place. What can I do to make it not crash under Turbo Boost? I have also reinstalled windows and reset this BIOS settings before.

My PC:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM

Stock cpu cooler (Intel)

Vector G750 CPA-0750GFV-U51

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (ROG STRIX)

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB SATA HDD

Motherboard: GIGABYTE H310M-DS2 (it's also new)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F4, 6/14/2018

Windows version: Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Stopcodes encountered:

APC INDEX MISMATCH

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION

MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

Crashdump of a recent crash:

https://pastebin.com/F3kjFBSL

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, We were reviewing the information provided on this thread. Please find below more information to troubleshoot this issue: 1. Some motherboards auto-overclock the system, or incorporate auto-tuning features by default that may cause system instability. When resetting BIOS settings to default values, check if there is any auto-tuning feature enabled by default. If this is happening, then we recommend disabling the auto-tuning feature(s) and make sure your system will run within specifications. After making sure that no auto-tuning feature is enabled, check the Intel® Turbo Boost setting in BIOS and make sure it is enabled. Also, make sure the memory you are using is not using an XMP profile and is running within specifications. Here you can also run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool on more time. Please attach the report. To check more information about memory and other specifications, please refer to ark.intel.com https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126686/intel-core-i7-8700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html 2. Then, try running games after applying the changes described in step #1. If the issue persists, then we suggest running your system without the graphics card and see if the issue continues to happen. Try running a game that the onboard graphics may support. If you do not receive any blue screens, then the issue could be related to an auto-tuning feature enabled by your video card. 3. It is worth noting that the reports attached so far do not show any temperature issue that may be causing instability. Please let us know of the results. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Were you able to review the steps recommended to troubleshoot this issue? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
HIm00
Beginner

Attached is the latest Processor Diagnostic Results.

Everything was as it was, I ran multiple tests (passmark, memtest86 again) with Intel Turbo Boost Enabled and nothing popped up.

Testing a game with internal graphics and it performed fine.

Temperature is not an issue.

If there is a way to disable the auto-tuning on my graphics card or BIOS, please teach me. I don't think this is the case, because this issue persisted even when I had a different GPU installed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Thank you for attaching the report requested. We will review the reports and get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello HIm00, Based on the report attached, and the fact that you have no issues when running games with onboard graphics and Intel® Turbo Boost Technology enabled (but showing issues when installing any video card), the problem reported could be related to compatibility between your motherboard and video cards. We also noticed that there are newer BIOS versions available at your manufacturer's website (F13). We recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer to get assistance on how to update the BIOS since updating BIOS firmware involves some risk. You can also report compatibility issues. Regarding your inquiry about disabling auto-tuning features in your graphics card or BIOS, you may want to contact the manufacturers of these components to obtain further documentation and instructions. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos