Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel XTU service

crossshot
Novice

Hi,

i have some trouble with Intel XTU and hope somebody can help me.

The Intel XTU service and program won't start. Event viewer shows the following message:

Source XTUService

Service cannot be started. System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: singletonInstance
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Object singletonInstance, Uri[] baseAddresses)
at IronCity.Core.Server.CoreServer.‮​‌‌‬‍​​‮‬‬‪​‍‪‍‮‎‮‭‏‍‏‏‍‎‮‮(Object , Uri[] )
at IronCity.Core.Server.CoreServer.Start()
at XtuService.XtuService1.‏‮​‏​‏‭​‭‏​‭​​‎‭​‏‫‬‌‫‮(CoreServer )
at XtuService.XtuService1.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

Uninstall, reinstall, delete all folder/files after uninstall - nothing helps...

Uninstall all Intel XTU software components in the device manager changes nothing

Uninstall instructions from Intel don't help

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html

The system

• Clevo X170KM-G
  • Intel Core i9-11900K
  • 64GB Patriot DDR4-3200Mhz (2x32GB)
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop 16GB
  • Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVVP Plus 2TB
  • Samsung SSD 980 1TB

Bios has an OC option and it enabeld.

Clevo Control Center is not installed.

sfc /scannow and DISM are finished without errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Chris

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Processor.  

In order to better assist you, please try the following:  

1. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and attach the report:

2. What is the operating system installed and its version?

3. Is this issue recent? Did the tool work before?

4. Do you get any errors when trying to open the tool?

5. Do you have any other overclocking tools installed?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid, thanks for your answer.

1. Look into the attched result file

2. Windows 11 Pro 64x

3. The tool worked some weeks ago without any issue.

4. Unable to start Intel Extreme Tuning Utility because the drivers are not running. A reboot may be necessary if Intel Extreme Tuning Utility was just installed, otherwise download and install the lastest version of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from....

5. No other tools are installed. Clevo ControCenter based on Intel XTU but is not installed and completly removed. But in the past, it was no problem to use the CCC and Intel XTU. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for your response and the report. Bear in mind that the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) may not work or may not behave properly when there other overclocking tools install, it may even not work at all after a system update due to the same reason, just as a friendly reminder.

Follow the steps below:

1. Uninstall the Intel XTU version.

2. Go to the device manager and remove all the instances of the XTU component driver in the device manager under software components. Refer to How to Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

3. Reinstall the latest version of Intel® XTU.

Also, consider that this issue can occur when you tried to install the Intel® XTU on top of an existing installer without properly uninstalling the previous one. Note that some OEM systems (HP, Dell, Asus, Clevo) could have Intel® XTU pre-installed.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Thanks for your answer, Deivid.

Your solution is the same as i described in my first post. This solution don't work. I tried it again and again...

Other ideas?

Greetings

Chris

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I would like to investigate this behavior further and to proceed I will need the report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU):

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

i attached the SSU scan.

And i have new informations.

XTU Service version 7.6.0.37 starts and 7.8.0.21 not. 

Greetings

Chris

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

In order to continue with the investigation, I will need to confirm the following:

1. Do you have any of these options enabled (Core Isolation Memory Integrity, Hyper-V, and Virtual Machine State)?

2. Can you disable the overclocking option in the BIOS and try again?

3. Just to confirm, have you rebooted the PC?

4. If after the reboot the issue persists, please provide the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) folders located in C:\ProgramData\Intel\Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

here my answers:

1. Look into the Bios screenshots. It shows all available bios options and how they are set.

2. I disabled it (after the screenshots) and it still doens't work

3. Yeah, i rebooted it all the time. After installation, after uninstallation and so on.

4. I have attched the folder.

And as i have written before. The older version 7.6.0.37 works as it should. The newest version 7.8.0.21 not.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for the confirmation, I will continue with the investigation to check for any troubleshooting or information that we may have for you.

I will notify you as soon as I have any details or if I need more details.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the investigation, this may be related to that some Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) files are not fully removed.

Try to make sure that all files are removed before trying to reinstall the tool:

If the issue persists, try a clean installation of the operating system.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

i follow your instructions form the beginning and make a clean uninstall. Nothing works.

And the instructions are also wrong.

The XtuService.exe is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64

So i have to remove it with C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe /u C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XtuService.exe

But anyway. The sofware don't work after an update and thats not my fault. And I don't reinstall my whole system. I have a lot of CAD, 3D and car and virtualization software on my system. Its costs me more than two days to install all programs again with all configurations. Its easy to say "make a clean install of the operation system"... Its not a gaming system - its a system to earn money.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will investigate this issue with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) to check for any further steps or solutions.

As soon as I have any details I will let you know.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the investigation performed, I recommend you to try the following:

1. Open command prompt and type ”pnputil /enum-drivers” after uninstalling Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU):

• Check to see if any drivers have a name with XTU in their list.
  • If you find any drivers, manually delete the old drivers otherwise the new version of Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) won’t work properly.

2. This step is optional since it is risky and if is not performed properly it may affect the system:

• Delete drivers via “pnputil /delete-driver oemxx.inf /force” replacing xx with the number of the XTU driver that was found in the previous pnputil step.
  • Be very careful to only delete the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) driver and no other drivers on their system.

However, the safest method is a clean installation of the operating system and then try to install the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) again.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

i'm in holidays and back in two weeks. I'll give you a feedback after my return.

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

Thanks for letting me know, I do appreciate it. I will wait for your response.

Enjoy the holidays!

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
crossshot
Novice

Hi Deivid,

i'm back from holidays and followed your steps.

I don't know, what was the solution but now it works.

At first i installed the newest Win11 build 22H2. After that, i removed Intel XTU and all components. I follow your steps, and remove oem64.inf (xtucomponent.inf). After a restart and a clean install of the newest XTU version it works fine.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings
Chris

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello crossshot, 

I am glad to know that know the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) know is working properly. I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further assistance or if you encounter any future issues with an Intel product.

Thanks for your time and comprehension.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos