Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14881 Discussions

Intel i9-13900KF / Asus Bios update 3603

kapture
New User

Latest Asus Bios update 3603 

Ausus ProArt Z690 creator wifi 

Intel i9-13900KF

now  in BIOS  Advance Mode / the performance Preferences setting offer two options:

Intel Default Setting

ASUS Advance OC profile

So witch one should I choose ? for best performance. for creator.

Now since that latest bios update:

Asus Multicore Enhancement :  disable or enable ?

'' current ASUS Multicore Enhancement Status ''   is disable and in a grey color !!!!   why and can it be enable ? if yes how ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

The ASUS Intel Default Settings will potentially give a system that will run cooler, use less power and be more stable. It is a group of inter-related settings one of which is disabling ASUS Multicore Enhancement (MCE). This is why this option is greyed out.

MCE exceeds Intel's specifications by attempting to run all cores at the maximum speed. This involves more voltage, more current, more heat being generated and depending on the processor cooling CPU temperatures can be an issue. Selecting the ASUS Advanced OC Profile setting will include MCE being enabled.

It is your choice as to which you choose. For a creator I would be inclined towards the Intel Default Settings. The performance gains from the OC Profile can be minimal but may still be important to a user who wishes to obtain the absolute maximum performance particularly for gaming.

kapture
New User

I was surprised to learn that usually intel default setting make the cpu etc run hotter.... and need to be tweeking to avoid really high temp and risk of failure....

2024-07-04 18 12 13.png

But that person doesn't have the same component as mine, neither the same bios version,  in the bios setting I do have more option like we talk about...  like Intel default and ASUS advance OC.

that person does take about it: ASUS... Why are you the way that you are?! (youtube.com)

0 Kudos
kapture
New User

Thanks for your reply...

Intel Default Settings : offer two option 

• Extreme
  • Performance
    • but both of them will fix the power delivery to 253w for 13900KF.
      • What else or difference in all the BIOS setting, no idea at the moment...

Intel Default Settings: does enable MCE, i didn't know that, but  after a bios save and exit and restart the PC.. when we go back to bios it shows enable...

what i found out 253w for 13900KF  is suppose to be OK....

So still not sure : ASUS Advanced OC or  Intel Default....   what can be best to prevent overheat etc.. for best performance

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

Yes, it's interesting that ASUS is now implementing MCE with the Defaults Settings. Of the two Performance is the one that I would try first. Performance will ensure that CPU temps are minimized and if MCE is supported then you will get a degree of additional multicore performance without excessive power consumption or heating.

Extreme as its name suggests might give some performance improvement, but particularly for creator use probably not worth the power consumption or heating consequences.

The BIOS settings differences between the two, it can be figured out if you switch between the two and see what changes are reported when you save the BIOS changes. It is important that both are observing the 253w power limit specified by Intel for your processor. What was happening before was that this was being set to either a much higher setting or unlimited as a default. The latest BIOS update obviously corrects that, bringing us to where we should have been in the first place.

0 Kudos
kapture
New User

It is interesting, from what I read in Asus documentation, the setting modification was made because Intel ask for it, for is K series...

Agree creator need are different, but depending of the PC component and the kind of software.... it does need more juice... But mostly creator software ask a lot from the GPU (mine is rtx 4080, that do a great job...Will love to have a nvidia 6000, but $$$$)  and RAM(mine is 64g and I will jump too 128g, hopefully sooner then later))....

253w is what it supposed to be in a perfect world SO no matter the setting is, ASUS Advanced OC or  Intel Default or performance versus extreme..... the power watts is still set the same 253w for my i9 13900KF...

Still it will be nice to have the info-documentation that shows everything that changes in the bios setting and compare side by side the two setting option...

But as usual BIOS info are always vague and minimal....

0 Kudos