Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14654 Discussions

Is 99.62 - 99.91 common variation of processor base clock? (It's core i5 6500)

idata
Employee

That processor has experienced a 90-100 temp for 10 minutes and 70-80 for 20-30 min, now it has not higher than 44. (Btw there wasn't any sigh of trottling)

Then i had not seen base clock, i will have seen it only after seeing the temps xD...

Sooo i have weird variation of processor base clock it is 99.62-99.91 isss it common and acceptable clocks or it's broken?....

0 Kudos
25 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

It is mainboard problem. Because it is a cheap mainboard it doesn't have so good power stabilization, and also the components are not of best quality (they have higher tolerances, and capacitors lower lifespan). Also the chipset, on that mainboard, doesn't have all the features of z170 chipset.

There is no component that is guaranteed for lifetime.

Capacitors are the first that usually die on a mainboard. They can have lifespan from 1000 hours to 15000 hours.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And i think they are the last questions xD

About processor's lifespan, how long it will work if i will use h110m-pro? and a board with z170 chipset?

With h110m-pro it will work less, than with a mainboard with z170?

Is h110m-pro + i5 6500 not a good choice?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have the latest BIOS version installed for this motherboard?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VH.html# down-bios https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VH.html# down-bios

Ronin is trying to help you with information that is related with your issue, I think Ingresed is confused about this behavior, the base clock for this processor is 3.20 GHz, and there is no BUS speed for this processor now is the MCH.

What you saying is the 100MHz differential clock input to the processor, if you have a variation of 99.62 - 99.91 is downclocking, this issue can be also related with the motherboard bios, try contacting your motherboard manufacturer to see if there is some configuration or new BIOS version that you can install.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Mainboard quality and lifespan depends of the quality of the components used on it.

If mainboard has high quality components on it it will be more stable in frequencies, and it will last longer.

Processor lifespan will be the same. If mainboard is broken it will start give you errors. Also mainboard can burn CPU if something is wrong with the voltage regulators and high voltage goes in the CPU.

You should not worry about mainboard lifespan, majority of mainboard manufacturers use capacitors with 5000 hours at least.

MSI is advertising that capacitors on that mainboard will last 10 years at least.

The problem you have now is that even if the bios has the clock set correctly at 100Mhz, because of the tolerance of components (which is higher for sure) and lower power stabilization, the clock can be variable.

Z170 chipset can offer you the posibility to put clock lets say to 101 Mhz and then the clock will be 100.62-100.91.

Even if it is Z170 chipset mainboard longevity depends of the quality of the other components on it.

I have an Asrock Z170 Extreme 7+ mainboard that has 12 Power Phase stabilization and 12k hours at 105C capacitors, I can put CPU clock with 0.0625Mhz precision.

Also the higher the quality of components and what that mainboard is equipped with, means higher price.

I hope this helped you understand why is the clock not so stable on your mainboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Ronin for that information, I hope this information is useful on this thread.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos