Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14574 Discussions

Issue with Server Boot Failure after CPU Replacement (LGA-2011 Socket)

jstrauss
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering an issue with my server that has an LGA-2011 socket, specifically concerning the replacement of the Intel Xeon processor. Initially, the server ran smoothly with an Intel Xeon 2620. However, when attempting to install a lower TDP processor, the Intel Xeon 2630L, the server failed to start. The CPU fan stuttered (not spinning completely but vibrating slightly), and a light on the motherboard rapidly alternated.

Suspecting a faulty power supply, I replaced it, but the issue persisted. Subsequently, I replaced the motherboard, and the server booted successfully with the old CPU and the old power supply (Supermicro motherboard). However, inserting the Xeon 2630L resulted in a B7 post-code error, typically indicating a RAM issue. Trying different ECC RAM modules didn’t resolve the problem.

Reverting to the old CPU, the server functioned normally. Initially, I assumed the newer CPU was defective. But even after getting a replacement, the same problem persisted, and the old CPU also failed to work anymore.

Could anyone provide insights into what might be causing this issue? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Does the motherboard manufacturer actually *say* that this specific processor is supported by their BIOS?
Just asking,
...S
0 Kudos
jstrauss
Beginner

It's an Supermicro X9DRD-IF Motherboard which supports Intel Xeon E5-2600 Series CPUs. And i have the latest BIOS and IPMI installed. Also the two CPUs (E5-2630L and E5-2620) don't differ as much. Just the TDP is lower on the L-CPU. Almost every other (important) specs are the same and they both support the same socket and have been released in the same year.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Again, does it specifically *say* that this processor is supported? If it doesn't, I wouldn't attempt to use it without SuperMicro saying so.
...S
0 Kudos
jstrauss
Beginner

There is no official supported processor list by Supermicro but on the official page of the Supermicro X9DRD-IF Motherboard is mentioned that CPUs with the socket LGA-2011 (Socket R) Series E5-2600 are supported.

"Dual Socket R (LGA 2011)
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600  and E5-2600 v2 family† (up to 135W TDP **)"

Because the E5-2630L is a Sandy-Bridge EP Processor it is fully supported by the LGA-2011 Socket.

I didn't find any other info about that this processors is specifically supported or that this processor is specifically not supported.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Don't make assumptions. I would contact SuperMicro and ask.
...S
0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello jstrauss,

Greetings for the day!

We recommend you to contact OEM (Supermicro) to check the motherboard compatibility with Xeon processor and kindly let us know the update.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi B

0 Kudos
jstrauss
Beginner

I contacted SuperMicro and the said that the Intel Xeon E5-2630L is supported but they haven't tested it on the board. They said i should try to reflash my BIOS with a custom version they sent me. ("It’s possible this didn’t get updated properly as our older boards did sometimes have issues with that."). I have to try this out and i keep you updated.

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello jstrauss,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for the update. We will await your response.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi B

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello jstrauss,

Greetings for the day!

We are following up to find out if you were able to find the information as suggested by SuperMicro. Please reply to confirm, so we can continue helping on a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi B

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello jstrauss,

Greetings for the day!

I hope this message finds you well. We have been awaiting your response regarding the query and unfortunately,we have not received any communication from you.

We regrettably need to close the request,if you still require assistance or have additional questions,Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future.Feel free to start a new conversation,as this thread will no longer be monitored.

We appreciate your understanding and value your business. Should you need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi B

0 Kudos