Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15010 Discussions

July 2024 Update on Instability Reports on Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen Desktop Processors

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

Based on extensive analysis of Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors returned to us due to instability issues, we have determined that elevated operating voltage is causing instability issues in some 13th/14th Gen desktop processors. Our analysis of returned processors confirms that the elevated operating voltage is stemming from a microcode algorithm resulting in incorrect voltage requests to the processor.

Intel is delivering a microcode patch which addresses the root cause of exposure to elevated voltages. We are continuing validation to ensure that scenarios of instability reported to Intel regarding its Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors are addressed. Intel is currently targeting mid-August for patch release to partners following full validation.

Intel is committed to making this right with our customers, and we continue asking any customers currently experiencing instability issues on their Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop processors reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

Labels (1)
103 Replies
AlderonMatt
Beginner

Questions and concerns I have:

1. Any ideas on why we had server providers who ran into faulty CPUs in 2023 get rejected around the time you mentioned the Oxidation manufacturing issue. After 2 years of being handed rejected RMAs, contacting 'customer support again and hoping to not get rejected again is getting quite annoying'.

Is Intel going to honor these RMAs or are we just going to get rejected again contacting support.

Why wasn't the Oxidation manufacturing issue disclosed to customers and investors earlier?

2. Any reason why CPUs would be failing, and in some cases popping or exploding even when brand new out of box configured to intel spec settings.

3. I'm running into the same crash issues with the same callstack as the desktop parts on several laptops including but not limited 13900HX and other laptop processors.

4. Isn't delaying the microcode update to August going to result in a lot more dead CPUs while waiting for this fix. It's not just instability but CPUs actually can die and stop posting.

Any chance we can get a beta BIOS or microcode that can be applied to verify the issue is actually fixed and this isn't stalling the issue out to past the Ryzen CPUs launching?

5. I'm having thousands of crashes in our crash reporting database from the same failures including on laptop.

We are also investigating if Xeons are affected by similar failures.

6. Users have been waiting a fix for this issue since December 2022 and its taken until July 2024 to get a response and ETA on a fix, any reason this process has taken so long to commit to customers getting RMAs and solutions.

7. Why is intel still selling CPUs that they are known to be defective without the microcode update being released to fix it?

8. You mention that a small percentage of users are affected. Every time a company has a issue they always down play it and just mention a small percentage of users. We know from crash data that this issue is affecting a wide number of users. You will have data on failure rates from OEMs and various companies to prove this. Why would you tell customers that its still a small percentage?

9. Can you realise CPU dates and serial numbers for processors affected by the Oxidation issue so users know if they might be affected.

CoolBook
Novice

Hello @AlderonMatt ,

This just caught my eye: "and in some cases popping or exploding...".

That is extremely uncommon.

- What motherboard are you using?

- Did you measure the actual voltage?

- At what temperatures are your systems operating?

- Did you limit the maximum frequency?

0 Kudos
CoolBook
Novice

@AlderonMatt 

So only you are allowed to ask questions?

I assume you exaggerated about the exploding chips to make this even more sensational?

Apart from your wild imagination, this mostly seems to be caused by systems running on bad BIOS configurations.

That is Intel's fault, since K-SKUs don't really come with working default settings. They all have to be manually tuned to match the cooling etc.

I would recommend the Xeon CPUs for servers.

0 Kudos
Moist
Beginner

How do I get my processor replaced?  I recently ordered and installed an i7-14700K processor.  My computer has been having so many issues with applications and games crashing.  A few BSOD here and there.  What do I need to do, please?

0 Kudos
MrAgapiGCarlos
Beginner

for more info here https://supporttickets.intel.com/s/?language=en_US

NOTE: is not automatic the issues. is not like you see this right away. but all is on the link. TB further before going to intel

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor III

I'm just a user of Intel 14th gen hardware like you.

You don't say what motherboard you have or what BIOS you have installed. Ensure you have installed the latest chipset and Intel ME drivers. Then install the latest BIOS if you have not already done so. After that you could use the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool first to check your CPU. It can be downloaded from here . As your CPU was purchased only recently if the Diagnostic Tool shows issues you should contact the retailer for replacement or a refund.

0 Kudos
Looping62
Beginner

Bonjour,
je possède un I5 13600K et je n’avais pas de probléme et subitement, impossible de démarrer le pc (problème boot).
J’ai testé les dernière mise à jour bios (qui corrigent soi disant) et toujours pareil.
La seule solution que j’ai trouvé et de désactiver le XMP dans le bios et l’ordinateur boot enfin, mais de ce fait la DDR5 à 6000 Mhz ne tourne qu’à 3000 Mhs et avec les bios correctifs qui brident la tension le prcesseur qui est donné pour 5100 ne tourne qu’à 4800.
Ou s’adresser pour ce faire échanger le processseur ?

0 Kudos
MrAgapiGCarlos
Beginner

all in, all tested. all fine. i did run the test that intel has to check. 

"degradation" does not happen after 2 or 10 night of use. we are not servers and even on light use. 2 of m system are 24h running on render 3d cad or animation etc.

BUT if the board manufacture will not support in case of aorus ga 600 chipset, has to be trash out. simple. i did manage after 1year and 16 week of constant use, contact frame and since day one 290 on pl1pl2 the pc still running and test show no issues at least for now.  we get 1 app that trigger the psu and was cause other issues that we resolve it.

Users need to be careful, this does not, i repeat does not appear out of the blue on the next day or so off use.

If users follow the ticket there are a set of test to be done.  but if the cpu and board is new and follow the guides on correct use of ram and placement and limitation, all will be fine. a lot change when 12th appears. 

that is all aside my side

0 Kudos
lucasholt
Beginner

You're right that this doesn't happen overnight.  In fairness, some of use are using consumer CPUs in homelab setups.  My 14700k is in my gaming PC, but I do have a consumer intel (e.g. 11700) and amd CPUs in some "servers" in my basement.  Some run heavy VM workloads with a lot of compiling workloads. 

I've been slowly buying used and new HPE servers with xeons to use instead, but it's still a valid workload.   You should be able to use your CPU any way you see fit and not have it destroy itself with stock settings. 

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor III

The issue was that "stock settings" on some 600 and 700 series boards were - at on time - far from stock. To my knowledge ASUS deployed boards where the Iccmax (maximum current) was set to absolute max. PL1 and PL2 were set way over the default Intel stock settings. And ASUS Multicore Enhancement was Enabled, sometimes with a setting that showed up in the BIOS simply as "AUTO".

That era has passed with the latest BIOS releases and all that seems to be left now is the BIOS release in August.

lucasholt
Beginner

Yeah, intel and mb vendors both screwed that up, but when one gets a new system and hits intel defaults in a bios, it should be a safe config.  My point still stands that a CPU shouldn't be degrading under sustained load with stock settings. 

Intel should do something like a branding program similar to the centrino days.  have a logo that you get when your bios defaults to safe settings and your system meets intel's recommendations.  They would also NOT certify companies like Gigabyte that can't be bothered to do bios updates at least a few times a year for z series motherboards.   Part of the program should include a guarantee of bios updates for at least 3 years. 

Mot425
Beginner

"incorrect voltage requests to the processor"

What voltage requests go TO a processor? Does the processor supply voltage?

Surely you mean voltage requests FROM the processor?

0 Kudos
rhobo-78
Beginner

I am an investor.

Can you tell us what "burn-in" regimen is normally applied to stress-test pre-production cpus and graphic chips as well as the burn-in regimen applied to production chips before and after packaging before being shipped to customers?

AndersB
Beginner

Are all 13th and 14th gen cpu affected?

I've been told and those with certain revision and s-spec number are unaffected.

I have a I5 13400, revision C0, s-spec SRMBP.

Which are so far unaffected, or am I wrong?

Those with revision B0 and SRMBF s-spec of the I5 13400 cpu are among the affected cpus.

I have disabled the bios setting which gave more power than what was within Intel's own safe specifications.

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor III

Your CPU is not affected by the Intel 13th/14th gen issues which only concern the K/KF/KS processors. You may have seen online references that say this is not the case but they are incorrect.

You don't say which motherboard you have but as far as I can see the board partners are making BIOS updates with the latest microcode patches available for all Intel 600 and 700 series . For example the latest 0x125 microcode revision was delivered by a BIOS update in mid-July. There remains a further microcode update that will be part of a BIOS update in August.

Menezes
Beginner

Hey Thomas, any rewards for whoever finds the solution?

0 Kudos
zfj1997
Beginner

希望真的能够解决,我使用14900KF,更新了华硕最新的bios也使用了intel default 设置,但是在进行代码开发的时候,我使用的rider编辑器经常崩溃,经过测试cpu只要有某个核心跑到5.8ghz以上就会出现rider编辑器崩溃的情况,rider输出的日志是内存读写错误,我把频率限制在了5.5ghz 就稳定了。我作为消费者无法接受!!!!

0 Kudos
Tomapestes
Beginner

Will INTEL offer a full refund or extend the warranty to 5 years for CPUs affected by oxidation? I have bought mine in 2022; it's a 13700k.

blessing_se12
Beginner

I called technical support and they said that the extension would not be based on the first cpu purchase time, which I think is unreasonable, this is not a problem caused by the consumer

Blade_CH
Beginner

What does this mean for us end users? It seems that I have been using a CPU with excessive voltage for the past year, which accelerates its aging process and surely shortens its lifespan. Since the microcode patch won't be released until mid-August, this situation will only get worse. Even though I haven't encountered any issues with my CPU yet, I'm concerned about the long-term effects.

What happens to the CPUs that have been running with high voltage for months? The wear and aging caused by this won't disappear even after the patch. Will Intel extend the warranty period for these affected CPUs? Or what compensation will be offered to end users if the warranty has already expired?

BennyOtt
Beginner
0 Kudos