Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14735 Discussions

Max ram on old CPU

Daedric1012
Beginner

Intel® Core™ i3-380M is listed with a max of 8gb of ram and a max of 2 channels.

Does this mean the CPU supports a maximum of 4gb stick?

or can a single 8gb stick work, just not as fast as 2 4gb sticks?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
We cannot answer this question. It depends upon the capabilities of the Memory Reference Code in the BIOS and whether it supports the memory technology necessary for an 8GB SODIMMs. My suggestion would be to stick with 4GB SODIMMs, as this represents the best performance scenario.
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Daedric1012
Beginner

the BIOS can see the 8gb of RAM. 

While 2x4GB sticks are better, it's more a case of should this CPU work with a single 8gb stick if the motherboard supports it?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I have seen other cases where the processor will actually support more memory than is (or was) listed. This is usually the result of the MRC code supporting only the available memory technologies and the maximums (then) representable. When new memory technologies come available, the MRC will be modified by the board manufacturers (or their IBV) to support the new representable maximums.
The problem here is that Intel never tested their processors with the new memory technology and thus will not warrant the processors to work with the additional memory possible. It should work (well, provided the BIOS Engineers did everything right and validated the heck out of it), but isn't warranted to do so.
So, what do you do? I can't answer thst for you. If you want to proceed, I would test the system thoroughly (for, say, 24 hours) with a tool like MemTest86 (aside: I personally don't trust the memory test built into Windows at all; it is just not thorough enough).
Hope this helps,
...S
0 Kudos
Daedric1012
Beginner

So, i have the CPU listed, i bought a single 8gb stick and it doesn't work.

i have tried to return it but they are refusing stating the CPU is listed to only work with 2x4gb stick and can not support a single 1x8gb stick. this is their direct statement. I'm hoping for clarification because that's not how I have read the specs on the intel website. i understand 2x4gb sticks would be better then a 1x8gb stick but it should support the 1x8gb.

this assumes the motherboard is not the issue, but as stated they said the issue was the CPU didn't support a single 8gb stick. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Daedric1012,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i3-380M Processor.  

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos