Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15610 Discussions

Memory RAM

Morpheuus
Beginner

In my PC, I have an Intel Core I9-10900F. I recently bought some new RAM, 4x32 GB DDR4 3200MHz. However, when I install 2 sticks, everything works fine, but when I install all 4, the PC doesn't work anymore. In the processor's specifications, I see "Max # of Memory Channels = 2". Does this mean that I can only have 2 sticks of RAM, so if I want 128GB, I need to buy 2x64 GB ?

You're welcome in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pressed_for_time
Valued Contributor I

The screenshot shows an Intel 400 series motherboard, specifically a Z490. This board supports up to 128GB of DDR4 memory so it will take 2 x 64GB OK.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pressed_for_time
Valued Contributor I

The CPU supports two DIMMs per memory channel so that is not an issue. I take it you have an Intel 400 or 500 series motherboard and there were reports that running four memory sticks on these boards could be problematical. Typically four would not work at all and two would work perfectly OK, just as you have found. If you can the best solution would be to return the four memory sticks and swap them for 2 x 64GB.

0 Kudos
Morpheuus
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I don't know how to find out the series of the motherboard, the only information I have is in this screenshot. It's my friend's PC so I don't have access to it. Is this enough to answer your question?

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
Valued Contributor I

The screenshot shows an Intel 400 series motherboard, specifically a Z490. This board supports up to 128GB of DDR4 memory so it will take 2 x 64GB OK.