Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14596 Discussions

My Intel Core I7-10700F keeps going to almost 5 GHz sometimes...

keeekklol
Novice

Sooo... I sometimes see that my I7 10700F 2.90GHz sometimes goes up to 5GHz (nost times its at 3/4 GHz) and I dont really know if thats normal. And if it is normal or not...can that damage the cpu? Bcs im just worried smt will happen.....

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @ keeekklol

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I understand that your processor is running at almost 5 GHz.

Based on your processor's Specification, your processor has a Max Turbo Frequency of 4.80 GHz. Max Turbo Frequency is the maximum single-core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, and it is the frequency a CPU targets when stressed by a demanding application. However, you should know that the processor may reach this speed, but it is not normal, it is also important to mention that not all cores will reach the Max Turbo Frequency, or at least not at the same time. The Max Turbo Frequency will detect one or two cores and they are the ones to speed up when needed.

For testing your processor. I would recommend using our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (Intel IPDT). It will verify the functionality of all the cores of the Intel® Processor, Verify the processor operating frequency, Perform a stress test on the processor, etc. 

• Download the Intel PDT

• Once installed, the Intel® PDT starts testing the processor using the default configuration. Two windows might appear to show the test is in progress.

• When the Intel® PDT completes, the testing status will display either a PASS or FAIL.

• Alternatively, you can open or save the test results file every time after the test run by clicking on file > view results file, file, then, save as to any location you specify.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
keeekklol
Novice

Okay...so I did the test on the Intel PDT and my CPU Passed everywhere! I still can sometimes see it at 4 GHz but since it passed I think thats okay.. I attached the results file at the bottom. The taskmanager however still shows 4GHz most times not like the Diagnostic tool (I made a screenshot).

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello keeekklol,

Thanks for your response.

As I mentioned before, if the CPU is running at 4GHz, it is under the expected behavior. Based on the processor specifications, the processor can run up to 4.80 GHz when needed with the Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency. Also, since the processor passes the IPDT test, it indicates that the CPU is running fine.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
keeekklol
Novice
Dear Jean_Intel thank you so much for helping me and clear things up for me! I really appreciate it. Have a great day.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I think what you are missing is that Windows runs its maintenance tasks in the background and this can affect what is happening. You may consider the system to be idle, because your running apps (if any) are all quiescent, but Windows may be doing maintenance in the background.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello keeekklol,

I hope you are doing fine.

I am glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos