Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Operating System

Natasha
Beginner

I recently downloaded red dead redemption 2 on my PC and when loading up the game it asks for an Intel processor 20.20.100.8681 or newer. When I looked this up it gave my processor 27.20.100.8681 to download. When I try to download it however, it throws a simple error message stating "operating system not supported" and I can't figure out how to fix this. I updated everything on my windows and it still won't allow it to download.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Natasha 

In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, Intel's installer seems to use this error message as a catch-all explanation for why installation has failed.

The most common reason for seeing installation failing is because a customized graphics driver package has been installed by the laptop/system vendor. The generic driver packages from Intel will not overinstall a customized driver package.

In general, you do not want to overinstall a customized driver package. Doing so could cause features to not work properly (or not work at all). This is most problematic for laptop designs, but can also disaffect All-In-One (AIO) system designs as well. In general, if an updated driver package is required in order to get bug fixes, improvements or new features that have been released by Intel, it is better to get this package through your laptop/system vendor, so that they have the opportunity to deliver their customization along with it.

If your laptop/system is beyond its warranty period and no drivers updates will be forthcoming from your laptop/system vendor, there are ways to upgrade to Intel generic driver releases. Provided you understand that this could cause features implemented by your laptop/system vendor to fail or be lost, you can perform the upgrade using this general process:

1. Download - but do not install just yet - the new driver package from the Intel site.
  2. Disconnect system from Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless. Note that Wireless should be disabled in such a way that reboots can occur without it automatically re-enabling.
  3. Uninstall the existing Intel Display driver. From Device Manager, click on the Display Adapters section and then right-click on the entry for the Intel Graphics adapter and select Uninstall Device. Checkmark Delete the driver software for this device and then click on the Uninstall button.
  4. Reboot the system, keeping Internet access disconnected.
  5. Install the new driver package downloaded in Step 1.
  6. Reboot the system.
  7. Reconnect Internet access.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos