Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14655 Discussions

PC boots with only 1 Ram Stick

3cDon_n4
Beginner

Hello, I am inquiring about my CPU regarding this boot issue I am having. NZXT z490 motherboard, and when I have 2 RAM slots installed it doesn't display and has a DRAM error on LED troubleshooting lights. So, when I figured out, I can boot with 1 RAM stick I ran the INTEL PDT and the CPU has passed everything. Does the PDT check the memory controller and all the memory channels even with only 1 stick installed? I have also ordered a replacement motherboard as I got this one used and supposedly it was working perfectly before they owner took it out to replace it. They also gave an excuse that they replaced it due to different color, however I am inclined to believe that they had the same issue and are just not telling me. Any help at all would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. It is not clear from your post if the PC boots with each one from the both RAM sticks or only from one of them?

2. You may download MEMTest86 Free application and prepare bootable USB to test your RAM.

Leon

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

One more thing. Are you aware that when installing only two DIMMs, their should be installed in slot A2 and B2?

Leon

Screenshot 2024-05-05 134228.png

0 Kudos
3cDon_n4
Beginner
Thank you for the responses, I am aware of that yes. hopefully this can help with what I mean in og post. Ram in A2 (installed first) B2 no boot black screen/ram all slots :A2 B2 A1 B1 no boot black screen/Ram in A1 B1 didn’t try (assumed trying individually would provide better diagnostic/1 stick ram in A2 boots and works/Ram in a1 boots and works/ram in b1 boots and works/ram in B2 only does not boot like when using multiple sticks. I used the different sticks while testing alone and all worked when put into slot that boots. So that tests memory controller completely even when say 1 stick is in a2, it can diagnose potential issue with an empty slot?
0 Kudos
3cDon_n4
Beginner
I am guessing the 4 sticks did not work as it seems when booting motherboard “tests” ram while booting order goes A2 B2 A1 B1 if one of a slot is empty it bypasses and moves forward. If one is occupied and faulty it stops post. am I correct?
0 Kudos