Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

PTWRITE instruction on L16G7

Hawkins__Byron
Beginner

The new i5 CPU model L16G7 is now available in the Samsung Galaxy Book S, but since it is a hybrid, I would like to know in advance whether it supports the PTWRITE instruction. It seems like the 4 Tremont cores should support this instruction, since Goldmont Plus architectures have it. But for example, if I install Linux on a Galaxy Book S, will the PTWRITE capability be enabled? It does need to be supported both by the CPU and by the operating system, because for example PTWRITE is never available in any hypervisor even if the physical CPU and the OS both support it. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We would like to do some internal checking about this specific information, please kindly wait for a response. 

As soon as we have an update we will post it on this thread. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,  

Thank you very much for patiently waiting for a response. 

After double-checking this information internally, we confirmed that PTWRITE is not supported in Intel® Core™ i5-L16G7 Processor (Lakefield) 

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Hawkins__Byron
Beginner

Thanks, that's very helpful to know in advance. I currently have two Goldmont Plus machines with PTWRITE, but they are both on slow atom cores. Is there any Tremont core available with PTWRITE enabled? So far I cannot find any on the market, though in publications it is often mentioned that "Tremont cores appeared in a number of products at the end of 2019". What products are these? I cannot seem to find any. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,   

Thanks for the reply. 

This information is something that I will need to check internally as well, please kindly wait for our response. 

As before, as soon as we have an update we will post it on this thread, thank you for your time.  

Regards,    

Sebastian M     

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron, 

Thanks for waiting. 

After confirming internally, I would like to inform you that currently the only processors built with the Tremont Microarchitecture are the Lakefield processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/81657/lakefield.html 

And only the codenamed Gemini Lake support PTWrite: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/codename/83915/gemini-lake.html 

Regards,     

Sebastian M      

0 Kudos
Hawkins__Byron
Beginner

Thanks, this is very helpful. Do you know of a way for customers to find out more details about specific future processor models? It would be great to at least have a list of instructions supported. So far I have not even been able to find this kind of information about processors that are already available for purchase. Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,  

Thank you for your reply. 

For non-released products, you can always check the Intel® Newsroom which will show you the future products and updates from Intel®: https://newsroom.intel.com/ 

For the current products information, you can check ark.intel.com for the specifications and Datasheet, as well as checking with the Intel® Authorized Distributors and Approved Suppliers for further information through the Field Application Engineers (FAE):

Additional information can be found through the Intel Resource & Design Center (RDC): 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/resource-design-center.html 

There you will find technical Resources for Customers, Designers, Engineers, and Developers. Also, you are going to have access to personalized content, leverage Intel's design, and training tools. 

Please keep in mind that you may have to do the registration process to create the account on the RDC and find some documentation that is not publicly available.:  

1. User completes and submits the Basic Registration Form 

2. Click “Submit” to complete the registration 

Note: Clicking 'Submit' confirms your acceptance of the Intel Terms of Use and understanding of the Intel Privacy Policy

3. On the automated email notification received from wsm-postmaster@intel.com, click on the link to verify the registration request. The user is granted immediate access to the RDC site. 

Regards,      

Sebastian M       

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,

Were you able to check the previous post with our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Hawkins__Byron
Beginner

Hi Sebastian, thanks for the references, I did sign up on RDC but so far have not been able to find much detail at the level of software integration. There is useful information on market-available architectures at the hardware level, for integrating into a physical device, but for example instruction set details are not mentioned anywhere. For released architectures that are not available for purchase yet, there are no documents posted. Do you have any suggestions for getting exact specifications of the instruction sets for each processor, or by group of models, something like that?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron, 

Thank you for your reply. 

For products that have not been released yet, there is no documentation available before the product being available in the market. 

Regarding the instructions sets on the processors, please check the following link Intel® Instruction Set Extensions Technology: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005779/processors.html

You can also check with the Intel® Developer Zone for more documentation useful for what you are looking for:  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,  

Did the previous information result useful to you? Please let me know if you have additional questions.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Hawkins__Byron
Beginner

No, unfortunately this kind of documentation is only useful for discovering details about a processor that is physically available to me already. However, if I see a CPU model for sale and I want to know what capabilities it has, there is only one way to find out:

1. purchase the CPU
  2. physically test the instructions available
  3. return the CPU if it doesn't have the capabilities that I nee.

I hope you will agree this is an enormous amount of effort. In my opinion, Intel should be obliged to document the exact capabilities of every CPU in such a way that customers can get the information BEFORE purchasing the CPU. It is an issue I may raise with local government representatives to see if perhaps there is enough concern among the citizens to warrant a proposition that legally obliges every manufacturer of computing hardware to declare what is being sold.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,   

Thank you for your feedback. 

We will proceed to check your concerns internally, please patiently wait for our response. As soon as we have an update we will let you know through this thread. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,    

Thank you for patiently waiting for a response.  

After checking internally, the resources previously given are the only information publicly available about future and released products.  

We really appreciate your feedback and I would like to let you know that it has been shared internally to the team in charge so it can be reviewed. 

Regards,    

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,  

I am just wondering if you have any additional questions or if you need further assistance. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Hawkins__Byron,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos