Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14788 Discussions

Possibilities of putting i3 mobile processor on a desktop board?

idata
Employee

Howdy brainy people! I have been researching the prospects of placing an i3 SR04R processor on a desktop board. Does anybody know if there is a desktop board that will be a good match for this mobile processor? A customer had a Toshiba laptop that had catastrophic drop damage and we wanted to salvage the processor for a desktop project. Any takers ready to answer this question??? Socket says rPGA989 on the toasted motherboard and the processor is an i3 SR04R.

Thanks in advance!

Glen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Glen_COM,

Note that mobile processors are provided to the system manufacturer and they will design their computer based on their needs.

This processor I3-2310M requires an special socket type to work fine. However, since we are not able to provide an Intel® compatible motherboard with this processor you can compare it with similar processors so that you can have an idea of what motherboard can be used.

It is really important to mention that the compatibility between the motherboard you test and the processor is not guarantee.

You can check similar processor than yours at the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/53427,53423,53422,52220 http://ark.intel.com/compare/53427,53423,53422,52220

Thanks.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Kevin that information is VERY useful to me. Although I am having a bit of a problem deciphering most of it

Basically I need a compatible (at least in theory) motherboard, but Intel does not produce one.

Am I correct with the socket description: rPGA989? or is it called something different?

Thanks again,

Glen

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Glen_COM,

Based on the information we have available from our side, this processor supports socket type FCBGA1023 & PPGA988. These types of socket are included in the computers by the system manufacturers.

This is the reason why Intel® does not sell motherboards with this socket type.

Thanks.

0 Kudos