Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Processor Upgrade Question

Fire_Marshal_Bill

I have two processor chips here. The one currently in the PC is an Intel Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz chip. I also have an Intel Core i5-3470 SR0T8 3.20 GHZ. I know the latter is faster? I just want to know if it is worth the trouble replacing the one in the PC with the i5 chip unless the difference in performance would be minimal..

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Does not matter which is faster.  They are different sockets, and you cannot replace one with the other:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=68316,33911

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Does not matter which is faster.  They are different sockets, and you cannot replace one with the other:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=68316,33911

Fire_Marshal_Bill
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Even if they were socket compatible, they must also be chipset and BIOS compatible.  To determine if the replacement processor is BIOS compatible, you must check with the motherboard manufacturer.

Fire_Marshal_Bill
Thank you. I guess I am out of luck.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That i5-3470  is still a good processor and, although at the lower end, worth keeping if you plan on finding another motherboard.

0 Kudos
Fire_Marshal_Bill

I posted this in the HP forum but no answers yet:

Will the 8300 motherboard fit the 8000?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

That is a tough question.  We have no information on HP boards.   Some manufacturers will post a web page regarding compatibility of processors with their boards/bios.   I have not seen such from HP.

Fire_Marshal_Bill

Thank you. You have been immensely helpful. Have a great day.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
Fire_Marshal_Bill
0 Kudos