Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14642 Discussions

Regarding Reports of 13th/14th Gen Unlocked Desktop Users Experiencing Stability Issues

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

Intel is aware of reports regarding Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen unlocked desktop processors experiencing issues with certain workloads. We’re engaged with our partners and are conducting analysis of the reported issues.

If you are experiencing these issues, please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance in the interim.

128 Replies
abd2
Beginner

normal ILM for intel stock

from googlefrom google

the photo from google 

0 Kudos
Bill721
Novice

BIOS

ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO BIOS 2202

Version 2202
13.51 MB 2024/04/19

"The update introduces the Intel Baseline Profile option, allowing users to revert to Intel factory default settings for basic functionality, lower power limits, and improving stability in certain games.

Updating this BIOS will simultaneously update the corresponding intel ME to version 16.1.30.2307.
Please note after you update this BIOS, the ME version remains the updated one even if you roll back to an older BIOS later.
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (MZ790H.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

DOWNLOAD

Let's hope this is the fix.  Should we reset voltage settings back to what was there before we made change?

Bill

BryanM
Beginner

I have installed this BIOS update so far without it producing ill effects. In regards to the voltage settings this will set everything back to Intel's failsafe specs. It is usually always the best practice to reset your BIOS to defaults first before applying any BIOS upgrades. However, since this particular motherboard's default BIOS settings introduce settings outside of Intel's specs I urge you to upgrade with caution. Personally I restored to defaults first, then applied the upgrade and had no issues.

0 Kudos
PapaGrande
Novice
OK, so I'm running a 14th GEN I-9 and A gigabyte aorus z790 pro They just released the beta bios update to be able to disable CEP. Should I leave this to auto or indeed disable?
0 Kudos
Bill721
Novice

The only issue I'm seeing is when loading Microsoft Flight simulator I'm getting a small spike to 100c.  It was worse originally, and it never got over 95 with the simple change earlier.  It's strange that keeping the same 253 numbers and lowering the Amps brought the spike slightly back.  

I didn't restore to defaults before loading the new BIOS.  Is that really necessary?

Should I now:

1. Simply restore the new version to defaults?

2. Restore the new version to defaults and install the new BIOS again?

2. Restore to the previous BIOS version. Set to defaults and then install the new version?

I wonder how much this is changing performance????  We paid a lot for this chip and mother board for performance...

Thanks  

Bill

0 Kudos
BryanM
Beginner

the only reason it is advised to restore to defaults prior to upgrading a BIOS is for stability concerns (you don't want to update the BIOS while your system is unstable) so the answer is just (1) Simply set defaults and make sure that the Intel profile is enabled, save and reboot.

Now as far as you spiking to 100C just while loading a game? I cannot imagine a scenario in which even with MCE enabled that it should get that hot just loading a game. Consider reapplying paste to your CPU.

0 Kudos
Bill721
Novice
0 Kudos
Essyl
Beginner
Nothing to see here, but after 18 years, I'm back at AMD. I'm disappointed and I don't think we should configure the expensive components. We write 2024.
0 Kudos
Cheng1109
Beginner

Rig was put together Oct-2023 so about as short as 7 months time to start exhibiting symptons.

Specs:

*CPU: i9-14900K 

*MEM: DDR5 128GB

*MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI

*GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 GAMING OC

*AIO: ROG STRIX LC II 360 ARGB WE

*BIOS: AMI 2202

CPU passed stress and diagonstic test.

When playing Cyberpunk or HZDFW  game will either receive random insufficient memory warning at start, crash to desktop or freeze mid-game. 

Tried setting BIOS to intel baseline, restricting PL1 / PL2, setting SVID to typical, trained and/or intel fail-safe scenario, disabling Hyperthreading, IA CEP, MultiCore Enhancement, lowering perfomance core ratio and dialing down gaphics in-game.

Problems alleivated with online remedies thus far is minuscule at best.

Thinking of going RMA but a replacement will burnout in another 6 months time?

I think it goes without saying we all paid good money for a smooth top-tier experience.

This isn't it.

AMD is starting to smell real good.

AlHill
Super User

"AMD is starting to smell real good."

The grass always smells over the septic tank.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
NickuTheDicku
Beginner

My system specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K

Installed RAM 96.0 GB (Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 6600mhz 2x48GB)
RTX4090 (driver 552.22)

MB: Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme

I have been going trough this had friends check out my pc out and have taken it to microcenter andnone could figure out this issue.

I'm sick of trying so far have replaced my CPU 14900k, rmad my ram, then bought different sticks. I'm at a point of completing a whole new build with amd.  please let me know if anyone can find a fix.

have been crashing in fortnite and helldivers.

0 Kudos
Bill721
Novice

You should have a BIOS update to help resolve this.  After updating make sure the new settings have loaded.  If not manually load them.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-adds-intel-baseline-profile-to-its-z790-motherboards-amid-core-i9-stability-issues

Bill

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

What's missing from the list at Videocardz is Intel (R) Adaptive Boost Technology. On Asus motherboards the Intel Baseline Profile changes the default setting for this from Auto to Disabled.

Another Asus motherboard BIOS setting that some users find helps stability is setting Advanced ->Platform Misc Configuration->PCI Express Native Power Management to Disabled. For Asus motherboards it may also help to use the latest Intel chipset driver and Intel ME Consumer driver from the Asus support site for your board, installing them in that order before updating the BIOS.

0 Kudos
FlávioViana
Beginner

Error DirectX Function - "Out_of_memory" ao rodar games e programas... Já troquei de tudo njo meu computador, processador trocado por 2 vezes e não resolve o problema.

Captura de tela 2024-04-21 090716.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/nvidia-blames-intel-for-gpu-vram-errors-tells-geforce-gamers-experiencing-13th-or-14th-gen-cpu-instability-to-contact-intel-support

0 Kudos
wave5001
Beginner
0 Kudos
John_38
Beginner

I posted 2 posts because of different system. I have the 14900k (sp91). In the link is a link to my older post here

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/14900k-still-instable-i-wanna-change-my-CPU/m-p/1558959

0 Kudos
Muss
Novice
So come on then Intel, your original post was 2 months ago. What are you actually doing about this?
0 Kudos
PapaGrande
Novice
Not sure if or has Intel fixed the problem. However they are doing an RMA for my 3 month old I9-14900KF chip. I just hope the new chip doesn't have same problem.
PP_
Beginner

I'll add my use case because it's a little different from the general user since I neither use Windows nor a discrete graphics adapter (yet).

- Gentoo Linux
- i9-14900K
- iGPU
- Asus TUF Gaming Z790-Pro Wifi (BIOS 1645)
- 96GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 @4800 (no XMP)
- NH-U12A

System bought in mid February and I was aware of the mainboard default overclocking so the first thing I did, right after building the system, was to limit both PL1 and PL2 to 125W and IccMax to 307A. After that I ran Memtest86+ with no faults reported.
Gentoo Linux is compiled from source code and it didn't take long before compilations started to segfault randomly. A different  CPU core was reported each time. Highest temperature ever registered was 88°C and the CPU has never thermal throttled.
I first suspected compiler optimization options were at play and experimented with those but it didn't help. Googling quickly led me to this thread and multiple reports of unstable CPUs.
I have now disabled MCE, Hyper-Threading and Intel Turbo-Boost 3.0 while maintaining the 125W PL1 and PL2 and it seems the CPU is stable for now. It still boosts 2 cores to 6.0GHz though seemingly without problems.

RMAing seems pointless at this time since Intel haven't told us yet what is causing this. I do not want to go through all that hassle simply to get another CPU with the same problem or one that works even worse. Intel need to inform their customers what exactly is wrong and what BIOS settings (if any) will make the CPU stable while maintaining the functionality it was sold with. This will likely mean working with each mainboard manufacturer to verify what the various BIOS settings actually do and also put an end to this craziness of overclocking the CPUs by default (whoever thought that was a good idea, simply to get higher scores on some benchmark site, should be banned from the industry imho).

Intel should also provide a bootable usb image with a test suite for both functionality and stability so that tests can be made consistently regardless of what OS we run. If any CPU fails such a test a special RMA procedure should be put in place to help their customers with a quick and hassle free exchange.

AlHill
Super User

read this:

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-adds-intel-baseline-profile-to-its-z790-motherboards-amid-core-i9-stability-issues

AlHill_0-1714006699608.png

While this specifically mentions ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte are in this mess also.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos