Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14978 Discussions

Running an intel compute card without dock.

Smallfactor
Beginner

Hi! So i found a what I consider a beautiful piece of equipment, its a Compute Card model no:CD1P64GK. The problem is I don't have a dock so i instead turned to the Type-C port, which has support for DP1.2, USB-PD and even USB 2.0/3.0 which is usually all you need to run a computer. The only problem is, there is no power button nor have i found a way to power it on by doing any classic "short this pin to GND". I've read multiple data sheets, not only the datasheet for the Compute Card but also the datasheets for most of the components mounted on the PCB. But after all ive read i can still not find a reasonable way to power it on without spending most likely over 100$ for the docking station. When scouring the PCB i did find what could be some type of JTAG or other type of "Debug header?" could that be a lead?

As this product is no longer supported is the PCB schematics for the cards still confidential or is there anything that i can read in order to find any type of solution to this? Any type of leads will be greatly appreciated as i really love the concept of the Compute Card and would probably find a lot of fun projects for it!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShunMnzed
New Contributor I

hello there Smallfactor

Regarding your question about the PCB schematics and the possibility of finding a solution: Intel typically treats PCB schematics for its products as confidential, especially for older and unsupported devices like the Compute Card. However, exploring a potential debug header or JTAG connection could indeed be a lead worth investigating.

Here are a few suggestions to consider:

Carefully exploring any potential debug headers or JTAG connections could provide clues on how to power on the Compute Card. Exercise caution to avoid damaging the device.

While detailed schematics may not be publicly available, Intel's technical documentation library might still offer useful information or guidelines for handling such devices.

Hope it helps

Tyler...

Smallfactor
Beginner

Thanks for the info Tyler!

Its kind of what I thought regarding the PCB schematics, but a bit surprising that its even worse with older products.

I will see if I eventually find the solution. Do you know if its against the rules to post eventual findings here, in case someone else has the same problem as me?

Have a great day!

Daniel

0 Kudos
AllStars
Novice

Check for Power-On Options in BIOS/UEFI Settings:

Access the BIOS or UEFI settings of your device (if possible).
Look for any options related to powering on the system via external ports like Type-C.
Some BIOS/UEFI configurations allow you to set specific power-on behaviors that might include Type-C port activation.
External Power Supply via USB-PD (Power Delivery): If your Type-C port supports USB-PD, you can try connecting an external USB-PD power supply.

Try connecting different peripherals or accessories to the Type-C port.
Sometimes, a specific combination of peripherals (like a USB hub or display) might trigger power-on functionality.

Regards,

0 Kudos