Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15213 Discussions

S and T CPUs: Low-power or Capped-power ?

idata
Employee

Is the S- and T-series CPUs are really low power, or simply capped-power?

For example, will the i3-3240T draw (and dissipate) less power than i3-3240 downclocked to 2.9GHz ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Useroid,

Processor's ending in 'T' will have a lower frequency and a lower Thermal Design Power (TDP*) than a CPU ending in 'S'. So, if we have less power, we will have less performance. It will not be the same as the regular processors with not letter at the end.

Example:

• i5-3570T – 2.3GHz / 3.3 GHz max Turbo Boost (45 W TDP)
  • i5-3570S – 3.1 GHz / 3.8 GHz max Turbo Boost (65 W TDP)
  • i5-3570 – 3.4 GHz / 3.8 GHz max Turbo Boost (77 W TDP)

*Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the near maximum power a product can draw for a thermally significant period while running commercially available software.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Sylvia,

Your reply might be correct. But, it is the answer to someone else's question, not mine.

Let's consider the following scenario:

Customer have a PC with i3-3240 - 3.4GHz. (to keep things simple, we take for example CPU without Turbo Boost)

OS is Windows 7.

The customer goes to Settings>Control Panel>Power Options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings>Processor power management>Maximum processor state, and set it to 85%. This will limit processor frequency to 2.9GHz, same as i3-3240T. So the processor will be limited to lower P-states.

Will there be any difference between i3-3240 and i3-3240T power consumption?

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Yes, there is a power consumption difference between i3-3240 and i3-3240T, since they have different TDP.

Please let me rephrase the example I provided on the previous post

I3-3240 – 3.4GHz / (55 W TDP)

I3-3240T – 2.9 GHz / (35 W TDP)

If you change the power settings, for example to an 85%, the power consumption will be less, around 47W. Therefore the performance of the processor will decrease.

The processor uses less power when it is in idle, since it administrates the power automatically.

We don't recommend changing the processor power settings to prevent possible damages.

regards,

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Useroid,

Processor's ending in 'T' will have a lower frequency and a lower Thermal Design Power (TDP*) than a CPU ending in 'S'. So, if we have less power, we will have less performance. It will not be the same as the regular processors with not letter at the end.

Example:

· i5-3570T – 2.3GHz / 3.3 GHz max Turbo Boost (45 W TDP)

· i5-3570S – 3.1 GHz / 3.8 GHz max Turbo Boost (65 W TDP)

· i5-3570 – 3.4 GHz / 3.8 GHz max Turbo Boost (77 W TDP)

*Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the near maximum power a product can draw for a thermally significant period while running commercially available software.

regards,

0 Kudos