Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

So I am currently running my Dell g5 5587 on an i5 8300h. During heavy gaming, I notice significant FPS drops due to CPU power limit. I am really confused and would appreciate any help. Should I undervolt my CPU ? If so how ?

I also would like to know what else could be done to fix this

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

We cannot help you with nvidia graphics. But, nvidia support can.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

and who said i need help with graphics?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I did. What makes you think you need processor help?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

XTU software shows that my cpu is power limiting and also significant drop in Core frequency while im gaming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Ah, the plot thickens... You have an H processor. XTU is only for X and K processors.

Uninstall XTU. You cannot rely upon data from a utility not intended for your processor.

Then, reset your bios, if dell allows such a thing, back to their default settiugs.

So, it never occurred to you that the problem could be with your dell or your nvidia graphics?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Since Al didn't actually say it, I will: Power Limiting, if implemented, is implemented within the BIOS.

This is a capability that laptop designers will often use to make up for the crappy batteries and/or inadequate cooling solutions that they have provided. If they've "neglected" to provide any way to configure this feature in BIOS Setup, well, it tells you what you've received. Regardless, this is between you and them.

...S

0 Kudos