Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15006 Discussions

Software processor load balancing using XP Pro ?

idata
Employee

Hi

I am interested in automatic, via software, processor load balancing using XP. From a software delelopers point of view can you instruct XP (upto) how much CPU load to use and no more (if available) say 85% etc....and is there any official xp/intel papers on this with Multicore cpu`s

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Did you ever get any information on this?

What are your requirements? I.e., what is the nature of the processes you wish to load balance?

In the past, I have developed a program and algorithm for fairly distributing CPU loads across multiple users on multiple CPU systems. The algorithm is suitable for creating equitable CPU distribution for long-running computational processes. "Long running" means several minutes or longer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No had no reply at all actually forgot all about posting it. but as i posted about it direct to an intel forum and got no response what so ever i thought basicly i got my answer .... what i wanted to know was (in general) if you ran a program that basicly said i want everything in the way of resources would xp and a Intel Multicore CPU be able to balance the load to other programs at a cut off point say 80% and the rest to be able for general OS operations so the system does not freeze up altogether and be un-usable? being a beta tester for a video conversion program, the creator is only utilising under half processing load of a CPU as worried any more would freeze the OS due to anything else that might be running...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The scenario you describe should work fine with normal XP scheduling. If necessary, the long-running process can be set to lower priority. That way, any interactive or other activities on the computer will pre-empt the video processing, but the video processing will "soak up" any available cycles. In this case, I would just try it to see the effect of video processing on the rest of the system. I run video creation (Camtasia) and the system is fine (even without lowering priority).

Load balancing software can be useful if you have many users doing intense processing on a shared server. If that becomes a scenario of interest, let me know.

0 Kudos