Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14676 Discussions

TPM 2.0 for DH87RL

Oliverclive
Beginner

Sorry - I can't figure out where to post this:

Possible to upgrade to TPM 2.0 for DH87RL mobo?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, it is not possible.    And, even if it were, W11 would not be supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Oliverclive
Beginner

Many thanks.

Not even using soldering iron to retrofit?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are never going to get to an 'Officially Supported' Windows 11 system based upon the RL board. The compatible processors do not support the necessary security features that MS requires. The TPM support is only there for TPM 1.2, not TPM 2.0 - so no, doing a retrofit isn't going to work.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
Oliverclive
Beginner

Got it - finally - many thanks. Farewell.

PS If it's on the tip of your tongue I'd be most grateful for your preference for a reliable microATX board manufacturer (ie not as expensive as a NUC and anyway I need to run a Hauppage satellite receiver PCIe card.) 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The ATX, uATX and mITX machines that I still have alive utilize 6, 7 or 8 series Intel Desktop Boards (but they continue to hum along just great, albeit using a little more power than later gen processors). As a former (retired) member of the Intel Desktop Boards and NUC development teams, I have (for myself) exclusively used NUCs for anything new.

As for lower end motherboards, I would likely stick with the big three (Asus, Gigabyte and MSI). I have never purchased an Asus motherboard, but have built gaming systems based on MSI and Gigabyte motherboards for the kids. This was a number of years ago, however, so I have no experiences with latest generation motherboards I can pass on.

...S

P.S. I know that you are not interested, but other folks might be: Intel does offer 11th, 12th and 13th gen NUC systems that do have PCIe expansion slots. Admittedly, they are Extreme category products and thus on the pricey side.

0 Kudos
Oliverclive
Beginner

Angel - Thank you. 

So were I needing to run the 87RL mobo 24/7 for several years (it has a fanless psu and an i5 4570T processor) it would be cheaper to switch to a late generation NUC?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure I understand the question (not that I will let that stop me ). The NUC products, for the most part, utilize mobile processors to garner significantly lower power usage numbers than an RL system ever could. If course, there is the upfront cost of putting a NUC system together.

...S

0 Kudos
Oliverclive
Beginner

Thank you.

"significantly lower power usage numbers than an RL system ever could"

So it would be cheaper ("pace" the cost of "Extreme category products") (a cost which in time will presumably fall?)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, you offset the cost of building a new PC with,

• The power savings possible.
  • The better performance.
  • The ability to run Windows 11 (not that I necessarily consider that a great thing).
  • The reliability of a new system.
  • Etc. and etc.

...S

0 Kudos
Oliverclive
Beginner

Many thanks for such patient help - Farewell

Clive

0 Kudos