Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15218 Discussions

TSX-NI Still Enabled on recently built 4790K?

idata
Employee

Hello everyone,

I am working on a PC and noticed the TSX instruction is still listed under CPU-Z. According to Intel this should have been disabled by the manufacture with updated microcode. The revision on the microcode in the bios is 06C319 dated 2/26/14. I went the the motherboard manufacture site ASUS and download the latest bios which was released a couple of days ago to support the upcoming broadwell cpu. I updated the bios and no microcode update for his 4790k was applied. I looked at the new bios using Aptio tool and there is no newer code in the bios. I believe there were two updates for haswell cpu's the first code update was 06C31A and then 06C31C. Can someone tell me if I am correct in stating ASUS should have updated the code to disable this instruction? Also if the two latter versions I listed are correct? I looked everywhere for a errata change log but can not find it on this site.

Thank you for any help with this...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The first microcode version including the change to disable TSX NII ended in 23. I see that yours ends in 19; however, it is up to the motherboard manufacturer as to what microcode updates they choose to apply.

idata
Employee

Joe,

Do you know where i can find a copy of the Intel paper that shows the microcode changes for this CPU? Also is there any chance of erratic behavior with this extension enabled since I do not believe there is any code that uses it right now...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Anyone from Intel in here? Would like an answer to initial question...Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am afraid the information about microcode changes is not publicly available.

There is no risk of unreliable behavior unless you are explicitly using a program that makes use of the TSX instructions.