Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15639 Discussions

Thermal Throttling at dimm

LeeSangChul
Beginner

Hello, I am a User using Intel Xeon Platinum 8452Y.
Thermal Throttling will occur if it exceeds approximately 85 degrees during the test (the test time will be slower).)
An experiment is in progress while changing the Memory Register, but it does not apply.
Is there another factor?

Can I let you know the changed MR when I get an answer?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_A_Intel

Hello LeeSangChul,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the thermal throttling issue you are experiencing with your Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8452Y Processor. We understand how important it is to resolve this matter and ensure your system runs smoothly during your experiments. We're here to help!

To address the thermal throttling, we suggest following these step-by-step instructions:

1. Check System Cooling: Ensure that your computer's cooling system is functioning optimally. Dust and debris can accumulate over time, impacting cooling efficiency. Gently clean any dust from fans and vents.
  2. Update Firmware and Drivers: Make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers installed. Updates often include enhancements that can help with thermal management.
  3. Reapply Thermal Paste: If your processor has been in use for a long time, the thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink may have degraded. Reapplying a fresh layer of thermal paste can improve heat transfer.
  4. Improve Airflow: Ensure that your system has proper airflow by placing it in a well-ventilated area and keeping the surroundings free from obstructions.

Regarding the changes to the Memory Register (MR), we regret to inform you that this falls beyond the scope of support we can provide. Memory Register alterations can be complex and specific to individual configurations, requiring in-depth technical knowledge. As a result, we are unable to offer direct guidance on this matter.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Nonetheless, we are still here to assist you with any other questions or concerns you may have related to your Intel Xeon Platinum 8452Y Processor or any other aspect of your system.

We truly value your feedback, and our team is dedicated to resolving this matter promptly. If you need further assistance or have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We're here to support you every step of the way.

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
LeeSangChul
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

We actually changed DIMM_TEMP_TH_0 (219A8h, 299A8h, 219A8h, 299Ah) to 45, 40, and 35 to forcefully reproduce Thermal Throttling.
Therefore, if the memory register is changed to 105, 100, and 95 degrees, it is expected that the phenomenon will not occur until the temperature reaches.
However, when it was over 85 degrees Celsius, it was confirmed that the phenomenon occurred.
I changed DIMM_TEMP_EV_OFST_0, DIMM_TEMP_TH_0, DIMM_TEMP_TH_0, and DIMM_TEMP_REFRESH_0, but when it exceeded 85 degrees, I checked Throttling again.

Could you tell me the problem with my experiment?

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello LeeSangChul,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding the DIMM_TEMP_TH_0 changes to reproduce Thermal Throttling. We understand the importance of addressing this concern and would like to assist you as best we can.

However, we must inform you that making alterations to Memory Registers (MR) falls beyond the scope of support we can provide on this public forum. Memory Register adjustments can be intricate and vary based on individual system configurations, necessitating in-depth technical expertise.

While we are unable to offer direct guidance on this matter, we genuinely empathize with your situation and want to ensure that you find the assistance you need. For this reason, we encourage you to seek help from other experienced forum users who might be able to provide valuable insights or solutions.

In the meantime, if there are any other general questions or concerns you'd like to discuss, please feel free to share them with us. We're here to help with any non-technical inquiries you may have.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope that the community can provide you with the support you require.

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
LeeSangChul
Beginner

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

If you don't mind, I'd like to be introduced to another expert to solve this problem, is it possible?

I tried to solve this problem, and I really want to solve it. If you tell me another method other than public forum, I will contact you using that method.

I'm sorry if this behavior is rude.

Thank you.

0 Kudos