Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14796 Discussions

Thermal Throttling i5-14600k (NH-L9x65 Cooler)

Kanerator
Beginner

Hello friends,

I recently built an ITX pc with a 14600k and a NH-L9x65 Cooler. Even with a manual 0.05 - 0.1 mV undervolt through the BIOS I am hitting 90 - 100c, in CPU demanding games. I am stumped. I have pushed the undervolt to even 0.15 mV and the system stayed somewhat stable. This fixed the incredibly high temperatures, but the frametimes and 1% lows  seemed to grow further apart, therefore leading to aggressive stuttering even with temps 65 - 80c. The GPU is a stock 4070 Super so there is zero issues with temperatures. I am aware that my cooler is not the best option for this specific build but it should not be hitting 100c consistently even with an undervolt. In the meantime I will remount the cooler and apply new reputable brand thermal paste. I would also like to add that my cpu fan is running at 100% during all of this. All the undervolting has been done through the BIOS, and all I have changed is the "Actual VRM Core Voltage" to offset mode and adjusted the negative undervolt accordingly. I will link a video to the BIOS settings tutorial I used. The only settings that were changed from default are the Offset Mode on the Actual VRM Core Voltage and the XMP Profile for my memory. If you have any questions or want me to run any tests feel free to ask! 

Cheers

Kanerator

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Cannerator,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

I tried to check the specification of your NH-L9x65 Cooler and found out that this is a low profile compact processor fan.

This cooler as per their website is not for processor that generates high heat loads.

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-l9x65/specification

I also checked the compatibility of Core i5-14600K and NH-L9X65 on their website and found that it has low compatibility.

https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-L9x65-19/cpu/all?q=i514600k

If you are having this issue since the integration, try using a different and CPU cooler for high heat generating processors like Intel's "K" processors. To further check the information above, you can also contact the manufacturer of the processor cooler.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cannerator,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cannerator,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up to check and hoping that you are now talking to the manufacturer of the cooler. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Thank you and have a great day. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos