Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14946 Discussions

Thermal Throttling using XTU benchmark on newly built desktop

gbast0s
Beginner

Hello, I have built a Desktop Computer around February with the following specs:

• Case: Meshify 2 Mini
  • Motherboard: Asus B760M-A Wifi
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-14700F
  • GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4060 Ti WINDFORCE OC 8G
  • RAM: Kingston 32GB FURY Beast (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MHz CL40
  • Cooler: Fractal Design Lumen S24 RGB Aspect 12 RGB x2 AIO CPU Liquid/Water Cooler
  • SSD: SSD Western Digital Black SN850X 1TB Gen4 M.2 NVMe
  • Power Supply: ATX Fractal Design Ion Gold 850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
  • Fans: 2 at the front for air intake, 1 at the back for exhaust, and 2 on top from the water cooler for exhaust

And I would like to know if it is normal to experience Thermal Throttling when running the benchmark on Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, as it reaches 100°C while the benchmark is running.

Is there anything I can do to improve this aspect?

All processor settings are at default.

gbast0s_0-1721060207192.png

Thanks, in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

In the ASUS BIOS at Advanced->Ai Tweaker->Internal CPU Power Management there is a setting called IA CEP. Try setting this to Disabled and run the stress test again. I don't know if you are already using it but HWINFO64 will give a lot more information about your CPU core speeds, voltages, temps etc.

0 Kudos
gbast0s
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for trying to help.

I have disabled the option you said, and in terms of benchmarking it's the same.

I will attach a report of specs

Thanks anyways

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

From the report you have an ASUS PRIME B760M-A WIFI motherboard with BIOS 1604 dated December 2023. This is not the latest BIOS. The latest BIOS for your motherboard is version 1661 that has just been released. Updating your BIOS to 1661 and using the Intel Default Settings choice is recommended. Then try setting IA CEP to Disabled again.

Before updating the BIOS I would advise that you download and install the latest drivers from the Support->Driver & Tools->Chipset page for your motherboard on the ASUS website. These are Intel Chipset Driver V10.1.19600.8418 and Intel Management Engine Interface V2336.5.2.0.

0 Kudos
gbast0s
Beginner

Hello again,

I already updated the bios and downloaded the chipset driver you said.

But when I go to the option IA CEP it says that disabling it can increase performance, but at the same time increase power consumption and temperature.

And I'm thinking if it's a good idea?

0 Kudos
gbast0s
Beginner

And after setting right now the Intel profile and disabling the IA CEP the benchmark was to low, since I'm was getting 11k

gbast0s_0-1721137197097.png

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor II

It has reduced temperatures to a maximum of 89C from the 100C you were reporting.

One of the changes in the BIOS was that originally power limits were being set either to maximum or well over the Intel recommended settings. The same was true of current (iCCMax) settings and ASUS was setting these to unlimited on all processors. This did improve benchmarks results but at the expense of CPU temperatures, to the point where as you observed it causes thermal throttling.

The issue is whether the difference in benchmark results makes much, if any difference in gaming. If it does you may well choose to optimize your system for gaming and not be too concerned about the CPU temps in benchmarks. So IA CEP can be set back to Enabled. You could try the OC Profile as well, which again may well be OK for games as long as it avoids thermal throttling.

0 Kudos
gbast0s
Beginner

I got it, after applying all the things you said I just need to adjust the Turbo boost Power Max and after that I get a good benchmark without Thermal Throttling.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos