Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15198 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
JTrub
Novice

Hello guys, just bought a 7700K yesterday and was worried about high temps i saw while playing compared to my old 6500 @ 4,5ghz.

I was running games @ 60°C on 6500, on my 7700K i'm @ 80°C average !

So i went on forums to see if there was anything wrong and i have read this whole topic, tooks me 3 hours (i'm not english).

After reading all the issues and setups you were using, i was trying to find a logical and simple answer.

This morning i just checked max Temps specifications on ark.intel website.

71°C for 6500, 100°C for 7700K.

So yes, mine is within the specs. I will adjust my fan to see if i can raise the threshold to avoid spikes in rpms.

In conclusion, i was first thinking that 7700k have issues, but in my opinion it may just be the way they are intended to work. (for a 400€ CPU, i feel bad anyway)

Also thx to:

OverDriver_PT83

ra5040

your informations were helpful to me.

So i got questions anyways:

does /message/461523# 461523 151. really lower temps without affecting performance and stability ? EDIT: tried it and was unable to boot.

will a 6700K be less prone to those issues ? (i was going to return it to the seller)

edit:

i did some testings:

lowering dram freqs to 2400 instead of 2666 or more. => no changes at all (was the first answer from intel)

disabling HT => 10°C lower (but yeah we paid for HT)

i'm using an air cooler actually so i may improve my temps in the future, anyone tried with an air and compared with a liquid one to see the real benefits ?

TGrab1
New Contributor III

Thermally you are still fine. 80c is normally warmer than I personally like, but well within the 100c max.

What games did you run that pushed your temps that high? Bf1? I have noticed BF1 temps are not far behind what you get on an actual stress test.

All that being said the biggest concern most people have or annoyance anyways is the fan ramping up and down on these spikes. If you are seeing 80c though then you definitely want those fans ramping up for it.

I will ask though. What cooler are you using on the 7700k. These cpu's put out much more heat than a lot of previous generations.

0 Kudos
JTrub
Novice

I'm using an Arctic Freezer 13.

80°C was with default bios settings on Dark Souls 3 Ultra 2K60 and Rainbow Siege Ultra 2.5K60. so @ 4.2-4.5 boost !

(an average 10°C less temp than with cpu-z stress test which i find quicker than anything else to check temps at full load)

After 4 hours of tweaking it now runs at 61°C @ 4.2 ghz ! I think this is quite good with my little air cooler :-)

I will try to increase freqs until i average 70°C and i'm considering buying an AIO air cooler if i can find a solution to setup the fans+rad in my really small case ! (elite 343)

good thing is that i produce music i got huge increases in rendering times using this i7 over my i5, really worth the money, i also got faster windows booting time and general improved reactivity. for gaming i don't see improvements for the moment but i saw benchmarks showing huge gaps with HT on/off on Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider, so i tried Tomb Raider and yes the cpu load is lesser than with my previous i5 did not try with dx12 for the moment but it reassure me for the future proof value of this cpu.

0 Kudos
WMeed
Novice

Hello again ,

Well i came here to tell you guys that i've solved the problem ( or at least for myself ) , this may work for MSI mobos owners

my rig specs :

MSI GTX 1070 gaming x

Z270 gaming m5

I7 7700k ( OC 4.7ghz 1.190v )

G.skills DDR4

Corsair H100i v2 watercooling

SO i've went to bios , and disabled the following , EIS ( enhaced intel speed ) , intel boost , Hyper-threading , Intel virtualization , intel C-state ,intel VT-D tech

with that disabled i have now 35-41C idle , 54-60 gaming ( tried it on witcher 3 high settings 4k , Player'sunknown battleground max settings 2k , black desert online 2k ultra ) no spikes stable temps ! please try and tell me if it works for you too

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Meedy wrote:

Hello again ,

Well i came here to tell you guys that i've solved the problem ( or at least for myself ) , this may work for MSI mobos owners

my rig specs :

MSI GTX 1070 gaming x

Z270 gaming m5

I7 7700k ( OC 4.7ghz 1.190v )

G.skills DDR4

Corsair H100i v2 watercooling

SO i've went to bios , and disabled the following , EIS ( enhaced intel speed ) , intel boost , Hyper-threading , Intel virtualization , intel C-state ,intel VT-D tech

with that disabled i have now 35-41C idle , 54-60 gaming ( tried it on witcher 3 high settings 4k , Player'sunknown battleground max settings 2k , black desert online 2k ultra ) no spikes stable temps ! please try and tell me if it works for you too

I can give you a few reasons for this if you are interested.

Most of the things you disabled HT for one reduces the load on the cpu and has been known to reduce temps by as much as 10c in some cases.

Speed step / c states basically makes your cpu always run at it's maximum when disabled. Meaning it doesn't downclock or decrease voltage.

Virtualization shouldn't make much difference if any.

As for your gaming temps. You are running at 4k and 2k. So you have moved the bottle neck to your GPU... where as some people in this thread playing bf1 at 1080p for example are hitting a cpu bottle neck as it cannot keep up with all the draw calls being made by the higher end gpus. DX 12 should be solving more of this issue as it matures, but still isn't doing the best atm. Doesn't help nvidia cards don't maximize on it like amd do currently.

All in all I am glad you found a solution that works for you. I would be curious to see what temps you get without going through such drastic measures though.

0 Kudos
WMeed
Novice

Well first of all thanks for taking time to analyze my " temporary " solution

as you've said it's drastic but still better than these insane heat spikes that make anybody's here is experience not really comfortable .. but at least for now is stable and doesn't really does a big shock on the cpu's performance ( I mean I'm still playing with a solid 60fps ) .. and not worrying all time about when my cpu is going to throttle ..

anyways before the method , I had my cpu heat spikes going insane sometimes to 95C or sometimes even make my pc reboot ..

I've spoke with Intel today and they told me that they're working hard on a solution .. because I was about to return it and get a new one but I decided to wait a little bit more instead .

0 Kudos
ADa_S4
Novice

Intel, you really make fun of your customers.

I watched deliddings videos of the i7 7700k as well as the new AMD processor, the R7 Ryzen, and the quality are INCOMPARABLE.

You put a kind of paste that does not resemble anything to "thermal paste" on a processor that is sold up to 400 euros in France !!

I reach temperatures completely insane, and this even with a PC totally watercooled (CPU+GPU, no excuse) !

+ 87 ° c, with 4.8Ghz and Vcore has only 1.225V and all the useless things like intel turbo boost are off, the i5 4670k did way better when i had it :

I let you see the pictures below, I let you guess what is the intel processor and what is the ryzen processor. You'll be the judge :

In short, I claim a refund from amazon for the CPU and the motherboard i bought to go to AMD.

Inadmissible to see that on a processor with this price range. It's not to us customers, as I see on this forum to find solutions but YOU.

SShah28
Novice

I get why you are pissed man. But thermal paste does not prove quality of the chip, 7700k still performs better than 1800x. Specially in single thread performance and day to day task and even gaming. 1800 might be better in some content creation applications. 1800x has a very little overclock headroom, they are pushing that chip to the limit. If anything that thermal paste shows how they are pushing it to the limit. I do not like intel putting crappy thermal paste on their product. But it shows they are confident about the chip performance and it overclock headroom.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Sinole wrote:

I get why you are ****** man. But thermal paste does not prove quality of the chip, 7700k still performs better than 1800x. Specially in single thread performance and day to day task and even gaming. 1800 might be better in some content creation applications. 1800x has a very little overclock headroom, they are pushing that chip to the limit. If anything that thermal paste shows how they are pushing it to the limit. I do not like intel putting crappy thermal paste on their product. But it shows they are confident about the chip performance and it overclock headroom.

The 1800x and all of the ryzen chips are actually soldered. So the Die and IHS are making contact via solder which is a much better conductor of heat than any TIM would be. The only thing that would be close is Liquid Metal of course.

The sad thing is Intel use to solder their chips too, but sandybridge was the last chip in the non-enthusiast line that received that treatment though... Also sandybridge was one of the better if not best overclocking chips in the I-Line. They were 3.4ghz base with 3.8 turbo and most people would overclock them to 4.7+ without much effort.

The problem is intel has lacked any real competition for too long. They have been able to get away with sacrifices to thermal performance to save a few pennies per chip. Now, at least they will have some decent competition and I have a feeling we are about to see some nice intel chips come to this platform in 6-8 core variants at a more competitive price. I could be wrong, but intel has enjoyed the lead for long enough I doubt they will want to risk losing it.

As for the 7700k. It is a good strong chip, it also has great potential if you are willing to delid one. It just doesn't have consistant thermal results between even a handful of chips. I will say though, it is pretty easy to delid. I ordered a delid kit, but upon finding out it wouldn't make it to me for about a month I just broke down and grabbed a razor blade. If you have any skill at all with a razor it is really simple and unless you are just doing it absolutely wrong I doubt you would damage the silicon. Then again there WILL be someone that does, so I do not recommend delidding your cpu! At least not by razor.

0 Kudos
SShah28
Novice

Yes you are right, but I think this awful thermal solution is their way of controlling overclock for newbies, if you overclock the chip to the limit and start rendering on it all day everyday you will fry the chip in much less than 3 years lol. Where as if they put a thermal limit on it. It will never work at it's maxf freaquency. I alway overclock a couple 100 mghz below max so I don't stess cpu that much and I always run adaptive voltage control. So at a normal work load cpu runs normal. But not all people are as understanding and caring about their chip lol.

0 Kudos
nx1
Novice

we aren't supposed to cancel options from the Bios ( such as HT ) in order to get decent temps.

if i wanted i5 -> i would have payed for an i5.

iv got 70C while gaming, on a stock i7 7700K with Noctua U12S and a case with 6 Noctua fans

and its winter ATM where im living. im not supposed to get spikes for no reason from 30 to 55-60 just when

im clicking on my browser.

these "temp solutions" aren't really considered as a solutions for the long run. iv already found mine,

and its moving to Ryzen 5. no matter what Intel will post in this topic -> its one less customer for good.

already canceled my SSD order on amazon ( an Intel brand ) and will pay a bit more for other brand.

this is the only solution for the 7700K. good luck everybody.

ASušt
New Contributor I

I totally agree, that we don't have to adjust anything.

And there is no strict condition for us to buy a cooler, that is more than 1/4 of the CPU price.

All of us can be total noobs in terms of PC knowledge.

Went to store, bought a 1,5-2k $ PC, brought it home, installed a bunch of everything, launched Doom and overheated.

Could be not an actual overheat, but a 90c temp spike, that caused MOBO to turn everything off in terms of safety.

But a regular user never could have thought of that...

Sound fun to buy an "overclocker's motherboard" for 400-500$, unlocked CPU.... and sit stock.

I could buy the cheapest MOBO for 50$ and sit quietly.

I think AMD could entice us by offering a MOBO exchange if we buy their CPU e.g. 1800X for sure would be mine!

As for Intel, I think there is no need for mass recall, just a simple exchange for those, who cares for the spike issue.

An exchange with cpu's that were tested...

P.S Is it me, or the topic is going silent?

P.S.S

Guys, about the fan curve.

How will the MOBO distinguish a heat spike from actual overheating?

Now I'm sitting with constant low fan speed. Everything is quiet of course, but if heavy load would appear....

RG9
Beginner

The only "solution" at this point is to run your memory @ 1.2V. This significantly reduces abnormal spikes and lowers overall temps.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

So, that means stock memory settings? 2100Mhz?

Pity, that I paid 450$ for a kit of 3600Mhz memory.

My overall temp is pretty good.

Nevertheless spikes are present.

0 Kudos
ADa_S4
Novice

Maybe Intel tries to ignore all these problems ? They no longer assume their mistakes.

No longer sign of life from them.

0 Kudos
NDe_S1
Novice

@all affected users

Maybe we should take this to the media if Intel is not willing to give us a solution or at least an explication.

So I suggest we all send our findings the major pc magazines, forums, review sites etc.

ASušt
New Contributor I

Maybe start some kind of petition?

0 Kudos
WMeed
Novice

Yes guys i do understand everything you've mentioned , i'm a costumer and a victim just like you are , if i took this drastic way to reduce temps , it's because i wasn't comfortable playing with spikes that has reboot my pc a few times ..

so i had to do something about it , because i've read every single message here and i've found no REAL solution from intel ( which they're supposed to fix this cause i'ts their product after all ) , but yeah what should we do , i'd like to change , but if i switch to AMD i will have to switch everything with and i just bought these stuffs i'm lost and i don't know which way to take any more :/

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Intel said, that they can replace the CPU with ease.

3 years of warranty.

Don't know, how will they do that, but i'll try to get a replace if they will not provide some solution in the near future.

Sadly, but the replacement of 50% (AMD switch) of my PC is not an option.

0 Kudos
WMeed
Novice

Yeah same thing they've told to me , that i can replace it with no problem 3 years warranty blah blah blah , also they've asked me to just give it a little bit more time because they're working on a solution , should i trust them ( sighs ) again ?! and wait .. idk but the real thing i know it's that if i switch to amd i'll pay more and i'm not ready either can't afford to change as you said 50% of my composents again

0 Kudos