Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14957 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
SShah28
Novice

see in these two photos how much difference better IHS integration makes, i prefer solider like AMD.

BEFORE DELID

AFTER DELID

2% faster and 10 c cooler

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

You had a pretty much golden chip to begin with. 5ghz in the mid 80's(package temp) is great for a non-delid chip. The fact you only saw a 10C temp decrease after also points to that... unless you didn't use liquid metal in that case you could get another 5-10C with the application to it on top of the die instead.

Anyways those temps look good at those clocks!

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Temps look good but horrible Voltage

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Monday, May 08, 2017 Shipment picked up 13:48

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 Delivered - Signed for by : J.Smits BERINGE 10:37

Well, that's a fast shipping.

Hope, the return will be as fast.

0 Kudos
sfoko
Beginner

I went the delid route after getting mid 80c on stock settings. At first I tried master gel maker under the IHS. It worked well for about four days then temps would rise again. Ordered some liquid ultra and applied under the IHS and gel maker on top.

Sitting comfortably at 4.8ghz @ 1.250v getting max temps under heavy load in the mid 70's using a hyper 612 air cooler. Average temps in the 50's while gaming and idle in the low 30's. Ambient temp 20c. Still get temp spikes related to speed step but nothing that bothers me. Fans are set up in bios to be silent. Asus z270h strix mobo.

While it is really bad that intel has sold cpu's with bad TIM I've actually really enjoyed the whole process and learned a lot.

0 Kudos
JSanc25
Novice

Any advice on how to delid? I'm on the fence on whether to do this since I don't know what I'm doing, but looking at some videos, it doesn't seem so hard. Some suggest not gluing(?) the IHS to the PCB and just let the motherboard bracket do the holding. Is it safe to do this or do I need to glue the IHS to the PCB and if so what glue do I use.

0 Kudos
sfoko
Beginner

It's not that hard. I used a thin razor blade and cut the glue gently. Just go slow, was actually quite easy. Otherwise order a delid tool. I did not glue the IHS down. Just clamp it down with the motherboard clip. Makes it easier to replace the TIM again if you don't get it right first time. Liquid ultra must be applied to the cpu and the bottom of the IHS to make good contact. And then use a good paste on top of the IHS. I'd love to try water cooling now to see the improvement over air. At the end of the day has all this effort and stress for an extra 300mhz improved my life? No not all, but it was definitely fun! haha

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

How long will the new TIM live?

Will you change it every maybe year, or there is no such kind of necessity?

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

"Fans are set up in bios to be silent."

Just a standart silent profile, or other kind of silence (e.g constant low speed)?

Do you hear your fans ramping up?

0 Kudos
sfoko
Beginner

Asus has a great system for tuning your fan speeds in the bios. Can set the %fan speed vs exact temp. So it will ramp slightly under heavy load but remain quiet. Mine will go full speed if it gets over 85c and get pretty loud which acts as an alarm system that something is wrong. I'm not sure how long the new TIM will last. Some people say it's fine after 3-4 years still, others say only a year. Liquid metal has guidelines such as don't use it on copper. This will damage the copper and alter the chemistry of the liquid metal(dry it out?). Theoretically using it between the IHS and the CPU should last till your next upgrade.

0 Kudos
JBárt
Novice

I'm losting in posts. Any next official info/update/statement from Intel?

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

So, I sent the cpu on monday, and recieved the new one today (thursday).

Prety damn fast.

Now, did it worth it?

To be continued....

UPD: The new CPU spikes just as good, as the old one did.

But a funny thing. I have started AIDA64 CPU stress test, and while it's running, the temp is much stable, than without stressing.

UPD_2: The new CPU does't work with my previous BIOS settings. With them system freezes at some point. + It run hotter ~+5c at 200mhz lower clock. Now, the temp jums by 3-5f at total idle that doesn't include spike. While watching youtube temp dances from 32 - 54. I can't even tell now what it the cpu temp. So I shouldn't ask to replace the old one

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Links wrote:

So, I sent the cpu on monday, and recieved the new one today (thursday).

Prety damn fast.

Now, did it worth it?

To be continued....

UPD: The new CPU spikes just as good, as the old one did.

But a funny thing. I have started AIDA64 CPU stress test, and while it's running, the temp is much stable, than without stressing.

UPD_2: The new CPU does't work with my previous BIOS settings. With them system freezes at some point. + It run hotter ~+5c at 200mhz lower clock. Now, the temp jums by 3-5f at total idle that doesn't include spike. While watching youtube temp dances from 32 - 54. I can't even tell now what it the cpu temp. So I shouldn't ask to replace the old one

Silicon Lottery at its finest.

I wouldn't advise doing the RMA unless your temperatures are way too high or unless there is something wrong with the chip.

Not that it will matter for most, but siliconlottery.com offers the delid service for like $50 I think. I would offer to do it for people locally, but I do not have the time as of late. I'm either at work or coaching the kids baseball.

Anyways I am looking forward to hearing back about the gigabyte bios. I personally run ASUS for my boards, but maybe if it works for one the others will jump on the bandwagon.

0 Kudos
vbro
Novice

GIGABYTE mobo users check this this article to fix this spike issue.. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2794-gigabyte-gaming-7-auto-vcore-update Auto vCore Update for Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

can any1 with gigabyte mobo report back how much that autovcore fix in the updated bios lowered the temp spikes? would totally buy a gigabyte mobo if so.

JSanc25
Novice

I'm going to try this after I get off of work

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Vkkthxbro wrote:

GIGABYTE mobo users check this this article to fix this spike issue.. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2794-gigabyte-gaming-7-auto-vcore-update Auto vCore Update for Gigabyte Gaming 7 Motherboard | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

can any1 with gigabyte mobo report back how much that autovcore fix in the updated bios lowered the temp spikes? would totally buy a gigabyte mobo if so.

Ok I had a second to look this over.

This will not do much for anyone who is already overclocking and using offset/adaptive/manual.

This was just a bios update that addresses the stupid high voltages that Gigabyte motherboards were using on auto. If you look at the graph at the end.. it doesn't reduce temps any more than manual.

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz

EIST 0, Turbo 0, CStates 0 Gigabyte G7 AutoGigabyte G7 BIOS UpdateGigabyte G7 Manual vCorevCore (v)1.356-1.404 (auto)1.20-1.24 (auto)1.188-1.275 (manual)CPU PKG (C)946470Core 0 (C)946370Core 1 (C)916469Core 2 (C)946170Core 3 (C)906168Ambient (C)21.325.622.2Liquid TMP (C)29<td data-s...
0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Desperate times - desperate measures - TGable, if you have spare time, give me some advice about bios configuration.

Maybe something i can do to stabilize the temp a bit more

Now I'm at XMP profile with it's CPU "oc" of 4.6ghz.

vCore at adaptive 1.24v. Balances power plan.

3600mhz ram at 1.35v

P.S....just moving my mouse cursor cuases temp increase by 20c, while I move it.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Tbh, There isn't much you can do to stop the spikes. Setting wise your voltages seem to be in a good spot. You could always try to reduce the voltage further until your OC goes unstable then just go back up one step.

Outside of that though the spikes won't really change, at best you will just reduce how much they do spike. As was stated back on page 40 this is mostly due to speedshift.

0 Kudos
vbro
Novice

hmm i c.. so for a guy like me who owns an asus mobo that has no similar mobo update and its auto vcore settings using up to 1.37V by following what this guy did in the article would it be wise ? how would impact performance by set it manual at 4,5ghz and uncore at 4,2 and disabling those values EIST, TURBO, and C-States ?i dont mind having spikes , i just want them to produce less heat without loosing any performance.. im happy with defaults and turbo mode on.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Sorry, I thought Asus had already patched this issue in their bios.

As far as settings go. I would leave the EIST, TURBO, and C-States on. The test did this as a way to keep things consistant between the two tests and to lower factors that could throw off results.

I would start by trying out "Adaptive" I would set your adaptive to 1.24 and leave the rest alone to start out. This should ensure that when your CPU uses turbo boost it will only go up to that amount.

You shouldn't even need to touch your clock ratios or uncore if you haven't overclocked it.

If you want to give that a try let me know how it goes. If you have issues just come back and let us know what happened.

0 Kudos
vbro
Novice

worth mentioning that those values i reported are not while stress testing but at idle.. atm i have turbo mode off and @ idle i use up to 1.27 i think and max temp spikes are up to 62C , if i turn turbo boost on , again while idle max temps are like 75C++ and max vcore is up to 1.37

im using xmp profile on rams too.

0 Kudos