Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14586 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
rkrie3
Beginner

Thank you, Andrew. I will make these adjustments and report back on the results. Hopefully this (and a quieter CPU fan) will put everything in order.

0 Kudos
rkrie3
Beginner

Hi Andrew. Yesterday I set the BIOS as you recommended and it seems to have improved my situation. The fan is not revving up as loudly and frequently as before and is now at a tolerable noise level. The actual default pitch of the fan is at a frequency that is still a bit annoying. I will probably replace it with a quieter cooler, which may then lower my temperatures even more with new thermal paste going on, etc.).

In playing back a relatively heavy music project at low buffer settings and using HWMonitor:

The package temperatures are between 33º C min to 48º C max.

Core 0 is between 28º C min to 49º C max.

Core 2 had the lowest temp between 25º C min to 42º C.

So this seems to have worked out. Thank you for your help and to all those who replied to my post. I wish Intel had done the same.

(Side note: what I did find strange is that yesterday my Gigabyte mobo started giving me "audio device disconnected/unplugged..." warnings even though no audio device was plugged in. This would happen randomly until I found a setting that allowed me to turn off those audio disconnect alerts in case there was a problem. So it seems the boards are a bit "wonky," in more than one regard, and the manufacturers know it. )

0 Kudos
KKarc
Beginner

Hi, first of all I want to Thank some people for making this topic, and most of all I want to Thank this guy:

/message/488211# 488211 1 007. /message/488211# 488211 Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

AndrewRossi 2017-07-20 10:06 (/message/488225# 488225 w odpowiedzi na jonemac)

Let me summarize:

1) Vcore for stock settings must be 1.200v. When you see more then 1.200v so your motherboard is overvolting your Vcore.

Stock frequency is 4.2ghz up to 4.5ghz with turbo boost.

2) If you do not see adaptive mode so your motherboard does not support it. So you ve to use the old way (offset or fixed).

3) IO and SA settings (these are called in different ways in different BIOS, like CPU IO, VCCIO, etc) must be under 1.050v.

4) CPU PLL OC (that in your bios is called VCCPLL OC) must be under 1.100 as datasheet says (some user here is stable at 1.080v, i am stable at 1.050v).

If you have different values (like your Vcore and your VCCPLL OC at 1.250v) you are out recommended voltages for i7 7700k, so it means your motherboard is overvolting your cpu.

Why? Because it works! This how It looks on my machine:

PC Spec:

CPU: i7 7700K @4500mhz

CPU Cooling: Cryorig H7

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P

RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5

PSU: Seasonic G-Series G-650 80Plus Gold

And some screens - first one is while I was doing some googling' and listenig to music:

This one is while I was playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands:

So, as You can all se the VCORE is 1.200v - and its the best value for 4,2-4,5 Ghz, second and the most important, this is the clue to all of this - VCCPLL OC - Im stable at 1.090v. No spikes, temperatures -10degrees. First of all I was trying to get 1.070 but my PC gets freezing.

I was getting about 70-75 temperature while playing with spikes, and now it's like 60-70 with no spikes My Cryorig H7 was geeting crazzy with RPM with only browser open, now it's gone.

So yeah, this is the fix and values that's works for me, and thanks again for it @ AndrewRossi

0 Kudos
kbour
Beginner

Hi,

i try to make exactly like you,

1.2V 1.2 V 1.09V

but my computer instantly freeze.

do you know why ?

here my configuration :

7700K with kraken X52

gigabyte Z270X - gaming K5

1080 Ti strix Oc

DDR4 G.SKILL trident Z 4 X 8 GO at 3000 MHZ CAS 15

windows 10 64bits

i have a lots of spike on my 7700K too, to 60°C

during stress tests, i up to 80°C

0 Kudos
KKarc
Beginner

Make sure You set same values in BIOS and in the Gigabyte app, that works for me so far. And be sure You change and save ONE value at time. And BTW the 60 it's not bad mate, from what I heard people was having like from 40 to 90, so thats a pain in the ass. Im having now 60-65, and that's totaly normal while playing, I was over 70 before so there is the diffrence.

0 Kudos
KKarc
Beginner

This just an off-top but I was wondering and I have to write this. Maybe this is not just a CPU problem, maybe its a Intel Chipset problem - Intel Is closing support for Z270 at the end of this year? " Yeah, we mess this up, we fucked up this platform bad, lets forget about' it and lets go forward with something new" Maybe the Z270 chipset is the problem. Since the problem is on all MOBO, no matter if this is ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte or EVGA Just wondering, share Your thoughts.

0 Kudos
GMazm
Beginner

Not going to write a novel but........I recently upgraded to the 7700k from a 6700k, and to be honest it performs/feels like I downgraded. It is the worst intel processor I have ever owned. Intel makes a K processor and tells users "NOT TO OVERCLOCK!" Really intel, is that the best you guys can do? How about manning up and telling people you guys screwed up with the 7700k and give us some what of a price adjustment for compensation. I have a corsair h100i gtx that kept my 6700k at 4.7 ghz under 69c. Long story short! 7700K = Garbage

Ryzen here I come!

DA1
Beginner

>> . Long story short!

Answer is short too: OVERVOLTAGE in auto. Check your mobo settings.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Yesterday came out a new BIOS for z270 chipset for ASus MOBOs.

In description:

"Update SKL/KBL CPU microcode."

Sounded like it may help with spikes/CPU temps.

But nope...we are still on our own.

love2bhye

Let me shake your hand!

0 Kudos
KKarc
Beginner

Same for Gigabyte Z270 mobos, the new bios F7 is available reading in the description:

1. Update CPU micro code to fix HT flaw issue
0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Well, Gigabyte gave more precise info, no doubts here.

0 Kudos
JMcIl
Beginner

So has anyone tried the Gigabyte F7 yet? I can give it a go on my Z270-HD3P but it won't be until later this week.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

The new BIOS fixes that HT bug, that didn't bothered most of the users too much, so I think, there will be no difference.

At least heat spikes and temp issues are still here.

0 Kudos
AMads3
Beginner

Haha I also got the MSI v1.4 BIOS update this week , included "microcode" improvement in the description.

This has made no change to AUTO overvolting or temperatures for my 7700k

0 Kudos
KKarc
Beginner

"

So has anyone tried the Gigabyte F7 yet? I can give it a go on my Z270-HD3P but it won't be until later this week.

Regards,

John"

No difference, I have the same MOBO and F7 instaled already.
0 Kudos
GMazm
Beginner

MSI has not released any bios updates regarding the 7700k heating issue. Has anyone else updated their bios with a successful outcome?

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Nobody has made anything against heat issues.

New BIOS only affects HT bug.

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

Thats right. New Bios fixes HT crash bug, updating HT microcode.

Currently there are no BIOS update about cpu overvolting, and i think there will never be.

As I have just sayd i think they ve purposely overvolted certain parameters, to hide some bad chip instability.

This is the conclusion I came to, and I can not prove it.

Solution is just set parameters values manually as I have sayd above.

Have fun!

0 Kudos
LSIMO2
Beginner

Hi,

Just wanted to thank all those who helped me finding out a workaround for this problem.

The motherboard was indeed overvolting the CPU by default.

Your advice doesn't help OCing those so called "K" processors, but it helps slowing down the fans and opening Firefox quietly.

For those who may stumble accross this thread searching for infos on i5 7600k's temps & fan going crazy, it's the same. I'm not able to offer you exact optimized vcore or CPU PLL OC values, but for those who have a Gigabyte Z270 mobo, simply switching from "auto" to "normal" in M.I.T BIOS - section CPU voltages - does the trick.

Was ~38°C idle + 20°C spikes before, now, lowest CPU Core is at... 8°C (hotter is around 22°C). Spikes are smaller and don't matter with such a baseline.

Anyway, thanks again.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

It's obvious, that CPU core cannot be at 8c...

I think, that this BIOS "optimization" doesn't actually make the CPU that much cooler.

With 8-22c idle temps, it all looks like a some sort of wrong sensor data.

It's a good thing, that fans don't whine anymore, but for this reason you can adjust the fan curve.

I have shown mine many pages ago... the fan ramping starts at ~55c, so that spikes do not affect rpms, while there is no actual load.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Well I found a firm solution for all 7700k issues I could potentially have had. The answer was having twins.. now i never have time to even touch the machine with the 7700k in it. Maybe in a year or so when I can use my PC again there will be a solution for the spikes, but as it stands my 7700k stays at room temperature 24/7.

0 Kudos