Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
EBakk
Novice

I have the same issue over here.

System Spec:

MSI Z270 Pro Carbon

I7 7700k

Corsair Vengeance LED 3000mhz

Windows 10 Pro

(Cooled by a 360mm RAD and an EK Supreme block)

The CPU temperature is jumping like it is on drugs. I just ran the Intel Diagnostic tool and strange thing is that under 100% load it doesnt go above 45 Degrees.

When im doing not much, like installing an app or so it easily jumps to 50 Degrees and jumps back again, around 35 Degrees

But where not the only one who noticed this behaviour.... on tomshardware forum there also talking about it.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice
If you go on Google and type (7700K temp spike) you will get a lot of results.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ZeoxZariX:

Thank you very much for providing that file.

I am creating a data base about this issue, so I am waiting for the other peers to provide that same file in order to compare and analyze all the scenarios to try to find a possible solution.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
EBakk
Novice

How do you upload the file to this thread?

0 Kudos
TGasp1
Beginner

Dear Alberto!

How can i give you data for this database? I have also i7 7700k with Asrock Z270 Extreme4 and has the problems what are wrote here. My cpu temp is up to 78 degree without overclocking. It's not in stress-test, it's just 10-15 raw picture converting. Plus i also feel the temp spikes, my cpu fan just playing up and down. I has a good, high air-flow capable case (F51 Supressor) with 3x 140 mm Alpenföhn Wing Boost 2. The cpu cooler is an Alpenföhn Brocken. I had much lower degrees with my i5 before 7700k.

So, my questions are:

How can i help to biuld a database? How can i fix this heat spike / temp problem?

Edit: Just got a fan spike, when i pushed the reply button...

Regards,

Tamas

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Elmotje and Nyrdian:

In regard to your question, once you run the SSU tool and you save the file from it, to attached it to this thread you just need to select "reply", then look in the upper right corner for the option that says " Use Advanced Editor" and after that look in the lower right corner for the option that says attached:

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Albeto

0 Kudos
amenn1
Beginner

dear intel members.

i have same issues with z170a x power titanium and a 7700k.

i've tested my old cpu 6600k, without having that strange "spike" heat

i'm going to put as attach the result of SSU, hope in a resolution soon, cuz it shouldn't work like this..

0 Kudos
EBakk
Novice

There you go! Please find out what this is....

0 Kudos
MSpan
Beginner

I have all brand new components

MSI Z270 Titanium

Corsair 64GB Platinum

Corsair H100i v2

At idle it runs a cool 32C or less. I find that it also spikes very high to the upper 50s and low 60s for a second making my fan curve go crazy and then it levels back down to the low 30s.

I also find that the CPU runs about 10 degrees hotter when in the bios and the temp goes all crazy and upwards of 55C to 65C when first booting the pc up.

I seem to be plagued by intel chips lately. I have a laptop with the 7600HQ and I'm getting display flicker like crazy and then this processor is spiking in temp.

What gives?? Maybe there is a software fix to this?

0 Kudos
TGasp1
Beginner

I will upload the SSU report tonight, meanwhile i have a question: afaik the cpu stock core voltage is 1.2 V, right? i checked the Asrock Z270 Extreme4 and seems it has a small extra power output, like in bios the cpu get 1,220V. I tried to give a fixed 1,2V, but the Prime95 test failed after a min, then the windows 10 got crashed. How it can be possible? Why not runing the CPU at fixed 1,2V?

I also not really understanding why get more voltage the cpu on max load. HWMonitor says (while Prime95 runing) the core voltage is 1,312V and can be max at 1,328V. It's the default settings, no OC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nyrdian:

No problem at all, you can upload the SSU when you get the chance.

Actually the voltage on the processor fluctuates and the range goes from 0.55 to 1.52, so as long as the voltage maintains that range, the processor should be working fine, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information, page 114:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/7th-gen-core-family-desktop-s-processor-lines-datasheet-vol-1.html

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
JS5
Beginner

I have a similar problem. I will copy out the details as posted in my Experts Exchange question on the subject:

I have an i7 7700K, and it's not overclocked, and the BIOS on my GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming-3-Eu motherboard is version F20 and untouched (so turbo mode is active but no other explicit overclocking).

Watch for yourself, a gif of the temperature as reported by CPUID HWMonitor:

https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/02_w08/1146702/CPU.gif

Look at:

a) how drastically the temperature fluctuates per tick - 10-20°C in a single tick

b) how high it gets

Notes:

• This is with nothing heavy running. If I do a prime95 stress test, it reaches 100°C (haven't seen it go over in my several minutes of testing)
  • I use water cooling and it seems to be working just fine
  • The cooler is seated correctly
  • I applied the thermal paste myself, like I have many times in the past. Admittedly it is a cheap one, but that's not enough to explain this
  • With the turbo mode, the voltage is reaching about 1.36V or so
  • The BIOS reports the same if I use Gigabyte's software in Windows
  • If I am in the BIOS itself, the temperature sits at 60°C
  • None of the reporting software I use (including openhardwaremonitor) give me the temperature for all 8 threads, like they are supposed to, which signifies a problem imo

Main difference with the OP is the huge temperatures I am seeing. I have attached the test by the Diagnostic Tool linked in the second post. Note that WEIRDLY during the load test, CPUID HWMonitor was reporting NORMAL temperatures (around 65°C). Then as soon as that part of the test finished, it went back to crazy land.

I leave it to you guys.

0 Kudos
JS5
Beginner

I have to say, not sure what happened, but this issue is now resolved for me. I was getting crazy fluctuations, as well as very high (impossible) temps, reported even by the bios but now it's all stead and cool

0 Kudos
THarD4
Beginner

What actions have you taken?

0 Kudos
AS19
Beginner
/message/462441# 462441 190. /message/462441# 462441 Re: Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

drkaii 24-Mar-2017 07:17 (/message/452343# 452343 in response to untoldzero)

I have to say, not sure what happened, but this issue is now resolved for me. I was getting crazy fluctuations, as well as very high (impossible) temps, reported even by the bios but now it's all stead and cool

What do you mean by "resolved"? Do you not get spikes at all? Or just less?

0 Kudos
ILuts
Beginner

Have the same problem with i7 7700k + ASUS Z270F Strix, CPU Cooler Thermalright Macho Rev.A + Arctic Cooling MX2. Temperature after 30 min gaming is about 72-79 C's with spikes from 80 to 90 C's...So look at this spikes (attached picture).

0 Kudos
GMukh2
Beginner

From my experience, that is because you have a quad core CPU. When I was overclocking a G3258 (dual core), the temps stayed stable, partially because I had an extremely awesome cooler (Enermax Liqmax II 240 w/ AS5 thermal compound). I have a friend who got some temperature spikes on his i5-4690K, but to be fair he was doing extreme benchmarking, and he was able to hit 5 GHz on 2 cores, but 4.6GHz on 4 cores and the temps were spiking to 100C at 1.4V, so yea. I think this issue should be just the fact that it's a quad core CPU (the 7700K thermal issue), but I would like to hear from someone with an i3-7350K if they are receiving similar issues at equivalent voltages (1.4V on 7700K, perhaps 1.65V on 7350K) before straight up saying that there is a thermal sensor issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i am also having the same problem with the i7700k. Temperature spikes when opening an applications like my browser would cause the cpu rise from an idle temp of around 30c to 50-60c than back down again. The cpu has not been overclocked and the motherboard is a msi z270i with a noctua u9s cooler.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Таже самая проблема, очень резкие скачки температуры

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7yjwagp5n58h38/%D0%A1%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%BE%D1%82%202017-02-15%2017.10.40.png?dl=0 Dropbox - Скриншот 2017-02-15 17.10.40.png

При этом запущен один браузер и все. Температура скакала при регистрации на сайте и написании текста.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ramms:

Thank you very much for providing the file.

As of now we will start the investigation on this matter, as soon as I get any details I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
TGasp1
Beginner

Dear Alberto!

Here is the xml file.

Regards,

Tamas

0 Kudos