Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
RRies
Novice

same issue

Processor Model: i7-7700K

Thermal Solution: Intel TS15A

Motherboard Brand: ASUS

Motherboard Model: PRIME Z270-A

BIOS Version: both on 0701 and with 0801

RAM Part Number: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16

OS installed: Windows 10 PRO Anniversary

Video Card: NO video card installed

0 Kudos
EBakk
Novice

Processor Model: I7 7700K

Motherboard Brand: MSI

Motherboard Model: Pro Carbon Z270

BIOS Version: Version 1.2 (Latest version)

RAM Part Number: Corsair Vengeance LED 4x8GB DDR4-3000

OS installed Windows 10 Pro (64bit of course)

Video Card: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0

0 Kudos
AArth1
Beginner

I have the same issue as others have reported. My system is as follows:

Processor Model: i7-7700k

Motherboard Brand: Asus

Motherboard Model: Maximus IX Hero

BIOS Version: 0801 (latest)

RAM Part Number: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

OS installed: Windows 10 64-bit

Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING

Cooler: Corsair H80i V2

There is also a growing thread on the Asus ROG forums regarding this issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90669-Maximus-IX-Hero-cpu-temp-spikes-and-fan-cycling https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90669-Maximus-IX-Hero-cpu-temp-spikes-and-fan-cycling

0 Kudos
RAghd
Beginner

Im struggling with the same problem for about a week now and Im really disappointed.

I turned off Turbo Boost in BIOS so now CPU barely goes upper than 78 C in games (I didnt run any benchmarks yet so afraid to see what would happen!)

Anyway I bought the k version cause I wanted to have some fun but this way Im always concerned about my CPU health even though its set at stock frequency.

Processor Model: i7 7700k

Motherboard Brand: AsRock

Motherboard Model: Z170 fatal1ty gaming k4

BIOS Version: P7.10 (latest available, updated manually it was published on 01/25/2017)

RAM Part Number: 2x8Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2400 CL16

OS installed: Win10 Enterprise

Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1

I also see the unstable ups and downs of VCore Voltage but some said its not an issue.

BTW haven't checked the influence of lowering PLL OC Voltage on the temperature yet.

0 Kudos
HHenn1
Beginner

motherboard model: z170-a

BIOS Version: 3007

RAM Part Number: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

OS Installed: Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

Video Card: MSI GTX 970 4GBDDR5

Cooler: Corsair h100i-v2

My pc temps were fine. I was using my old SSD with all of the old data. I upgraded to a larger SSD and started from scratch. Before new SSD, i had idle temps 23-28C with gaming temps around 60C max. After new SSD, I was getting two cores around 50-55C idle, and two at 28C. I see frequent jumps in temp as well as frequent fan throttle up. My UEFI bios said my CPU temp was 29C but HW monitor and Corsair link both said my CPU was at 55C. I don't know if it was only coincidental that I only experienced these symptoms after installing a new SSD, or this is the 7700k showing its ugly side.

Will link diagnostic tool when I can.

intel_admin

0 Kudos
RRies
Novice

Hello Alberto or Juan Carlos, or anybody at Intel. Give us some type of update on this issue. All we heard from Intel for almost two months is that there is an open investigation. Surely there has to be something and we would all like to know.

0 Kudos
BScal2
Beginner

Alberto:

Regardless of the fact that the SSU said my Operating System "not supported," I went ahead and ran the tool anyways. I can confirm this issue is not limited to Windows. How Intel can claim Linux isn't supported is another matter, since the SSU was a Linux version, AND Intel is a huge contributor to Linux, providing the only Linux open-source manufacturer's video driver on the market.

I'm jealous of these folks complaining about "high 30's" CPU temps at idle. Mine runs about 50'C at idle. Spikes when even a single core is maxed-out are in the mid-80'C, & approach 90' with all four cores at 100%.

Processor Model: Core i7 7700K

Motherboard Model: Prime Z270-A

BIOS Version: 0906 (latest)

RAM Part Number: G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVGB

OS installed Kubuntu 17.04

Video Card: (If the PC does not have a video card please let us know) Integrated Intel HD 630 graphics / Native, Built-in Kaby Lake GPU

Rather than O.S., you probably want to know Linux kernel version: 4.10.0-20. I'll be compiling the 4.11 kernel as soon as I can get all the tools to play together.

The system itself is cooled with 2 exhaust fans, a 120mm @ 3000rpm & a 200mm @ 1100rpm, purportedly pushing 270CFM combined. The CPU is "cooled" with a Noctua NH-D9L with dual 92mm fans. Hard-drives have their own cage & are cooled with dual 120mm fans @ 2500 rpm. The 32GB of memory has it's own active cooling. The case has plenty of ventilation.

I've attached the SSU for both 4500Mhz & 4800Mhz. I figured 4500Mhz isn't even "overclocked," as that's Intel's stock Turbo speed, so nothing exotic there. Voltage at that speed is about 1.23VDC. Running at an "overclocked" 4800Mhz voltage is 1.3VDC. The whole "overclocked" term, apart from being vague, is also inaccurate, as when I'm "overclocked" at 4800Mhz, the system is running at 800Mhz idle AND has 50'C temps. I have screen shots. I didn't do any stress testing to show the spikes into the 70'C-80'C range, but can do so and post screenshots if you doubt the voracity of my statements.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've been building Intel-based PCs for literally 35 years. I have built hundreds from scratch. Plus, I've been working with computers since the IBM 360-days and have a degree in Computer Science.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Motherboard Model: Z170-Delux

BIOS Version: 3201

RAM Part Number: Corsair CMD32GX4M2B3000C15

OS installed: Win 10 Pro

Video Card: 2x Nvidia GTX980 in SLI

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Processor Model: i7 7700k

Motherboard Brand:MSI

Motherboard Model: MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC

BIOS Version:1.44

Memory Kit - HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory

OS installed: Win 10 Pro

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Motherboard Model: z170 pro gaming

BIOS Version: 3016

RAM Part Number: Patriot, PSD416G21332 x2

OS installed: Windows 7

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070, GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to everybody for sharing that information.

The investigation is still in progress and with this additional data we will be able to continue with it.

As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have also been having the same issue. Been having temperature spikes from 23 degrees C to 55 degrees C from mouse clicks and opening browsers.

I have had this processors since January 4th when it was released to consumers. Since then I have replaced my motherboard twice, the liquid cooler twice, graphics card once in order to find out what the problem was, and none of it solved the issue. I talked to an Intel representative last month and he said that it's normal for the different cores to fluctuate in temps based on what processes are running, though going from 23 to 55 degrees is a huge jump. Another Intel rep also said my processor was showing normal use, but based on this thread I guess it's not normal so any help or updates would be great.

Motherboard Model: z270 gaming M5

BIOS Version: Version 1.5 (Latest version)

RAM: G.Skill trident z

OS installed Windows 10 (64 bit)

Video Card: Msi gtx 1070 gaming z

Cooler: Corsair h100i v2

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello stkim:

Thank you very much for providing the information above.

I will include your system configuration in the report related to this investigation.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
MSpan
Beginner

I have pretty much the same set up

Motherboard Model: z270 gaming titanium

BIOS Version: Version 1.1

RAM: corsair platinum 3400 64gb

OS installed Windows 10 (64 bit)

Video Card: Msi aio water cooled 1080

Cooler: Corsair h100i v2

looks like I'm past the return date for my chip and I'm stuck. Way to let everyone wait to find out the issue is a manufacturer error.

0 Kudos
JStap1
Beginner

Processor Model: i7 7700K

Motherboard Brand:Gigabyte

Motherboard Model: GA-Z270-HD3P

BIOS Version:F4

RAM Part Number:Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4

OS installed Win 10 Pro

Video Card:EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming with ACX 3.0 Cooling 8 GB GDDR5X

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jonski:

Thank you very much for that information.

I will also add your system configuration in the report in order to continue with the investigation.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
MMust10
Beginner

Processor Model : Kaby Lake i7-7700k

Motherboard : Gigabyte z270x Ultra Gaming

Bios Version : F4

Ram : Corsair Vengeance 16gb(2x8gb) 3200mhz

GPU : Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1 Gaming

Cooling : Corsair H45

PSU : Thermaltake TR-2 700 watt Gold

CPU is running at stock settings and having pretty much the same issue as everyone else here. Idle Temps between 28-32 with sudden spikes going upto 45/50 or even more in some cases.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Proxac:

Thank you very much for providing that information.

I will also add it to the document related to the investigation.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi All,

Same issue here. This is really unacceptable. Please let me know if we are going to receive any update or I should return the processor. I temporarily controlled this issue by downclocking the CPU a bit but come on, that's not why I bought K processor to underclock it.

Specs:

Processor Model: 7700K

Motherboard Model: MSI Mortar B150M

BIOS Version: AMI BIOS C.A build 2016-12-28

RAM Part Number: 4x HyperX FURY 4GG DDR4 2133MHz CL14 (HX421C14FBK2/8)

OS installed: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Video Card: Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming

0 Kudos
EBakk
Novice

Agree,

Im still able to return the processor this month. If Intel does not provide a solution within the next week. Im going to return the CPU+Motherboard and get myself a Ryzen.

amenn1
Beginner

Dear intel.

we are all here, with the same "issue".

the only common things is the 7700k, so, is pretty clear, that ther's "something wrong" on our cpu.

could u just let us know, if we have to/we can proced with RMA, or something? is like 2 weeks that we don't have any "news", saying: we are investigating, means actually nothing for consumers.?

is our cpu faulty?

0 Kudos