Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14528 Discussions

TjMAX is set to 115°C by default.

dougaMAT
New Contributor I

hello.

I have a Core i9-13900K and an ASRock Z790 Steel Legend

In this combination, TjMAX is set to 115°C by default.
Therefore, even if the temperature reaches 100°C, the thermal throttle may not work and the temperature may rise to 115°C.

Is there any problem if I continue to use it as it is?
Also, is the product warranty for the CPU valid?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello dougaMAT, I just received an update on this matter.

In regard to your inquiry, if it comes with a setting by default then is not considered as overclocking, Altering clock frequency and/or voltage will be a modification on default settings and therefore overclock and voids the warranty. TJ max is basically the temperature where the CPU will start to throttle (reduce performance to cool down). So this TJ Max is going to depend on the configuration of other components including a cooling system for example. The CPU might or might not be able to handle 115 C, with that being said, altering any specification outside the default configuration is considered a modification, therefore if any issue appears and we encounter that is caused by such modification we can deny the warranty.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @dougaMAT

Thank you very much for all the details regarding the feedback from ASRock*. We are glad to know that you have received a satisfactory answer from them regarding the TjMAX setting.

Because we understand that our previous answer stating that "the warranty will be void if the end users set TjMAX to 115°C" may seem to focus on a scenario where is the user (and not a default setting from the OEM) who is changing the TjMAX, just in case we will proceed to double check this additional inquiry that you have:

"If ASRock's default setting, which is reflected regardless of the end user's will, is considered a change in TjMAX and if the warranty will also be void due to that default setting".

We do know that ASRock already informed you that they are changing this limit setting for TjMAX, but we think that you are still looking for an official response and this may also apply to future scenarios where this behavior with the default TjMAX setting is observed on different motherboards, so it may help other users to clarify when they run into the same concern.

Once we have more details available, we will post them here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
dougaMAT
New Contributor I

Hello @AndrewG_Intel

If you could answer that question, that would be great.
As you said, the answer will help to solve the problem for end users who face the same problem in the future.

Thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
Fede59
Novice

ASRock's behaviour is strange to say the least. I use a Z690 Taichi motherboard with an i7-13700K. Early bios's allowed unlimited CPU operation by default. After some comments about this on the ASRock forum the later bios (like the current one, 14.04 of 22 November) now allow the CPU parameters to be set to Intel's standard values (base power 125 W, turbo power 253 W). Despite this my CPU, under stress, reaches up to 105°C without any blocking or throttling.

Are your BIOS CPU's settings, in the OC section/CPU, on Intel standard or unlimited?

0 Kudos
dougaMAT
New Contributor I

Hello @Fede59

For reference, on my Z790 Steel Legend WiFi (BIOS = 3.10), the power limit is set to PL1 = PL2 = 253W by default.

I think the processor temperature in your environment reaches 105°C because TjMAX is set above 105°C. ASRock told me they will change the default value of TjMAX on Z790 and later, but motherboards before Z690 are not subject to it.

The power limit is the threshold for Over Power Protection (OPP) which limits processor power, OPP does not monitor processor temperature. Since the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) will not function until TjMAX is reached, the processor temperature may rise to the TjMAX setting if the processor is not cooled sufficiently.

As for the power limit, there are many motherboards, not only ASRock, that are set to a value higher than Intel's recommendation or unlimited. It inhibits the OPP from running and allows the processor to consume more power. However, I do not see this setting as much of a problem since Intel does not set a minimum and maximum value for the power limit and it is mainly the motherboard that is at risk with the power limit open.

If you want your TCC to function according to Intel's specifications, I think you should set TjMAX to 100°C.

0 Kudos
Fede59
Novice

Right, in my AIDA64 the TjMax Temp is at 115°C.

Anyway, I have air cooling so I slightly undervolt-ed both P-Core's and E-Core's so I don't have temp problems in idle and under stress with very little or no loss in performance.

As for your settings, isn't your PL1 supposed to be at 125W?

0 Kudos
dougaMAT
New Contributor I

In conclusion, your processor reaches 105°C without throttling because TjMAX is set to 115°C.

As for you addressing the temperature issue by lowering the voltage of your processor, I have nothing to say about that as you are doing so at your own risk. If you want to enable TCC protection as per Intel's specification, I would recommend setting TjMAX to 100°C.

The 12th generation Core datasheet states that PL1 = PBP is the "recommended value". This is probably the same for the 13th generation, so the recommended value of PL1 for the Core i9-13900K and Core i7-13700K is 125W.
However, this is a "recommended value"; Intel states in the datasheet "No Specifications for Min/Max PL1/PL2 values".

12th Generation Intel Core Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 (pages 92-95)
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/core-technical-resources.html

If you want to know Intel's view on setting power limits, I suggest you ask ICS in a new thread.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, just to be clear (since the message didn't seem to get through when I detailed it before), if you can read a temperature reading above 100c, then your 'true' Tjmax/TCC assertion temperature is NOT 100c. Whatever the highest temperature reading is that you can see, that is your 'true' Tjmax/TCC assertion temperature. Remember that the DTS circuits in each core generate an unsigned digital value that represents the number of degrees Celsius that the measured temperature is below the 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature. The 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature is represented by the value 0 (zero). Since the value is unsigned, this means that readings above the 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature cannot be represented. As well, as I said before, for Desktop (as opposed to Mobile/Embedded) processors, the 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature is  NOT locked at 100c; it may be slightly higher or lower, depending upon the individual part's nuances (leakage levels, etc.). During the silicon validation process, the 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature is determined and 'programmed' into the part using a number of internal set-once fuses).

Ok, long-winded but necessary. Now to the crux of the matter...

It is my assertion that no motherboard should, by default, set the Tjmax value to anything above the processor's 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature. We know that they do this to make their motherboard look better than the competition, but I assert that it is wrong and they shouldn't. By doing this, they are, by default, overclocking your processor - and doing so without telling you that they are doing so. If you want to make the decision to do this, so be it, but most people don't and they shouldn't have this done to them without their knowledge or their consent.

Now, I say that this is 'my assertion' because I am retired and it is thus not up to me what Intel's policy is going to be on this matter. However, if I purchased a motherboard that did this and I didn't know that this was the case, then if my processor fails and Intel is not going to replace it under warranty, I am going to be suing the motherboard manufacturer for the replacement cost of my processor - and fighting for this to be declared a class-action lawsuit to help other owners that are in the same boat. Bottom line, the motherboard manufacturers should think very carefully about the liability that they are creating for themselves by setting their defaults above the 'true' Tjmax/TCC Assertion temperature.

Clear as mud?

...S

0 Kudos
dougaMAT
New Contributor I

Hello @n_scott_pearson

I think I understand the process by which the "true TjMAX (DTS=0)" as you call it is determined, but I recognize that whatever the "true temperature" is when DTS reports 0, it is calibrated to the maximum operating temperature in the product specification by TEMPERATURE_TARGET recorded in MSR (0x1A2).

I am aware that the maximum operating temperature in the product specification is the same temperature as TjMAX and TCC Activation. So, in the case of a Core i7-12700K with TjMAX of 100°C, I understand that when DTS reports 0, XTU and other applications will refer to the MSR value and indicate 100°C.

As stated in the datasheet, TjMAX is inherently unchangeable, but with unlocked processor and chipset combinations, it is possible to raise TjMAX up to 115°C. This setting does not merely change the MSR's TEMPERATURE_TARGET, but also extends the measurement range of DTS. We understand that this DTS measurement range extension and raising the TCC Activation temperature is an action that constitutes overclocking.

I am also aware that TjMAX, the maximum temperature specified in the product specifications, is not necessarily set at 100°C. In fact, the TjMAX of the Core i9-12900KS is 90°C.
ASRock, with whom I was discussing the TjMAX temperature of the Core i9-13900K, finally said they would change the default setting to 100℃. I interpreted that as conforming to Intel's product specifications, but we will have to wait and see if that is really the case.

I agree with your assertion on this issue.
I think the process you describe of suing the motherboard manufacturer is legitimate, but many users faced with a TjMAX-modified processor failure will not know the cause and will simply claim product warranty from Intel as a product defect in the processor. Those who are supposedly responsible should not be allowed to impose it on others.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello dougaMAT, I just received an update on this matter.

In regard to your inquiry, if it comes with a setting by default then is not considered as overclocking, Altering clock frequency and/or voltage will be a modification on default settings and therefore overclock and voids the warranty. TJ max is basically the temperature where the CPU will start to throttle (reduce performance to cool down). So this TJ Max is going to depend on the configuration of other components including a cooling system for example. The CPU might or might not be able to handle 115 C, with that being said, altering any specification outside the default configuration is considered a modification, therefore if any issue appears and we encounter that is caused by such modification we can deny the warranty.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
dougaMAT
New Contributor I

Hello @Alberto_R_Intel

Thanks for the answer. I understand ICS's view that even if a motherboard manufacturer raises the TjMAX to improve performance, as long as that is the default setting, it is not considered overclocking.

I find that view a bit strange given that we lose our warranty if we do the same setting, but I interpret it as a policy to protect the end user. I believe that policy is beneficial to us.

Unless I am mistaken in my understanding or interpretation, I think my question is now resolved.
After a little time, if there are no objections, I would like to accept your answer as a solution and end the thread.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello dougaMAT, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

Yes, you are correct. Basically, it is always recommended to use the system at stock configurations with the default BIOS settings for the Intel® warranty to be validated on your platform.

Thank you very much for accepting our answer as a solution and now, as per your request, we will proceed to close the case.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos