Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14932 Discussions

Turbo boost not working after update

JCruz14
Beginner

Hello, I have a Samsung ultrabook with core i5-3337U@1.8 Mhz processor.

Until yesterday the turbo boost monitor shown that the processor use additional processor power when needed reaching up to 2.6 Mhz.

Yesterday I update the Wifi, Widi and HD4000 graphics drivers to the latest versions.

Now when I start my system I get the following message:

now the turbo boost feature don't work and the processor never go beyond 1.8 Mhz

How I can enable the turbo boost?

Thanks for your help.

Jaime

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi JaimeCruz,

The Turbo Boost Feature can be disabled or enabled at bios level depending on the options that the manufacturer has developed.

I recommend you accessing the bios and resetting the settings defaults since the drivers you install should not affect at all this processor feature.

0 Kudos
JCruz14
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your answer. At bios level I can only put on or off the processor ECO mode. Tried On and OFF and not change in the turbo boost. Another problem I found was that I can't change the screen brightness.

Finally the only solution I found is to make a system restore to a point before loading the new Intel drivers.

Now everything works OK.

I think that Samsung drivers have a "some" difference from the original Intel drivers.

Thanks anyway and good bye.

Jaime

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi JaimeCruz,

You are welcome. Let us know if further assistance is required.

0 Kudos
RNofs
Beginner

Hi JaimeCruz,

I also have this problem on same ultrabook with yours (samsung ultrabook series 5 with core i5-3337U@1.8 Mhz processor).

I did factory reset few days ago and then updated all samsung software (because of hdd replacement).

Then, I notice that cpu clock on task manager stay in 1,8GHz and a notification about Virtualization (if I am not mistaken) is not supported in this processor while installing a software. I checked Hyper-V in Windows Features dialog box.

- What is name of old samsung application to change cpu clock / eco mode? I still have old samsung' systemsoftware backup. I hope by reinstall it will solve the problem.

- I don't think to do reset to factory setting anymore. I did twice last month TT__TT.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RNofs
Beginner

Hi,

After I reset my samsung ultrabook to factory setting, I did a little troubleshoot and then found the answer.

It is because of << Hyper-V checked (on) >>!!!

In this ultrabook (processor i-5 3337U), if you check Hyper-V feature in Windows Add Features dialog

-- Windows fail to read processor Turbo Boost (I guess). Windows Task Manager will show processor speed is 1,80 GHz all time.

-- This failure will affect to processor fan. The fan will never change it speed to higher speed and make my ultrabook temperature increase.

Next, I tried to check (activate) Hyper-V on my brother Microsoft Surface Pro with i-5 4000U processor. Everything run normal.

So, I can guess that there must be something (bug, error or...) in this (my ultrabook) i-5 3337U processor, don't know it is at processor level or windows level.

need replacement if I want to activate Hyper-V. TT___TT

0 Kudos