Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

TurboBoot do not take effect on IceLakeD

mwang82
Beginner

Hi Expert,

I have a IceLakeD LCC board, when I turn on and turn off TurboBoost from BIOS, and start a stress test on a CPU, then I find there is no performance difference between TrubuBoost on and TrubuBoost off, I'm sure the CPU is under 100% load.

From my understanding, there is no configuration need from OS to config TurboBoost, only configuration from BIOS is enough, is there right? or there is something need OS to do with TurboBoost?

On another board TigerLakeUp3 in my hand, I did same test with same OS image, I saw a big performance difference between between TrubuBoost on and TrubuBoost off, what I did is just turn on and turn off TurboBoost from BIOS, no OS code is updated.

Here is the BIOS information about my IceLakeD LCC board:

IDAVILLE

Intel(R) Genuine processor             1.60 GHz

IDVLCRB1.86B.0015.D81.2006040852          16384 MB RAM

Copyright (c) 2006-2020, Intel Corporation

Here is the CPU information on my IceLakeD LCC board:

Total CPU Number: 8

CPU0

CPUID: 000606C0

Stepping: 0

MicroCodeRev: FD000050

PlatformID: 0010000000000000

CpuCoreFreq (MHz): 00001600

ActualCpuFreq (MHz): 00001584

CPU1

CPUID: 000606C0

Stepping: 0

MicroCodeRev: FD000050

PlatformID: 0010000000000000

CpuCoreFreq (MHz): 00001600

ActualCpuFreq (MHz): 00001600

Best Regards

Rocky

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @mwang82  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening, I will gladly assist you here. 

What is the model(s) of your processor?  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
mwang82
Beginner

The processor is SunnyCove, it's CPUID is 0x606C0.

And after further investigation I find the Linux get turbo boost works on same machine, the Linux get big performance difference between enable and disable turbo boost from BIOS.

When turbo is enabled from BIOS, there is a software flag in Linux which is able to control turbo boost works or not:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

When set this flag(no_turbo) to 0, Linux test case get a good performance result, after set flag(no_turbo) to 1 then Linux test case get a normal performance result which is same as disable trubo from BIOS.

From my understanding, the trubo boost is a automatic function in hardware, there is no need OS to intervene, but behavior told me this is not true.

On other side, I run the same test on a other OS(vxworks), there is no performance difference on this machine between enable and disable turbo from BIOS. The vxworks has no function like Linux to control turbo in OS side.

My question is, did the turbo boost on this machine need OS do something with it from OS side?

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

Could you please provide the exact models of the CPU's in order to find out if they support Turboboost and then provide proper assistance?

Feel free to check the How to identify my Intel Processor article https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006059/processors.html

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos