Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15178 Discussions

Updated Guidance RE: Reports of 13th/14th Gen Unlocked Desktop Processor Stability Issues

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

We are continuing to investigate with our partners the recent user reports of instability in certain workloads on these processors.

In the interim, the following BIOS settings are recommended to help maximize stability for currently installed processors while Intel continues investigating root cause:

Table 1. RPL/RPL-R K SKU Recommended Settings

Parameter / Feature

Value

CEP (Current Excursion Protection)

Enable

eTVB (Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost)

Enable

TVB (Thermal Velocity Boost)

Enable

TVB Voltage Optimizations

Enable

ICCMAX Unlimited Bit

Disable

TjMAX Offset

C-states

Enable

ICCMAX

Varies, Never >400A*

ICCMAX_App

Varies*

Power Limits (PL's)

Varies*

* Please see the 13th Generation Intel® Core™ and Intel® Core™ 14th Generation Processors datasheet for more information

Intel continues to work with its partners to develop appropriate mitigations going forward. And as noted previously, if you are experiencing these issues please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Wehmeyer-Designs
Beginner

I have made the changes.     

Prior to doing so, I was able to get the 14900k working (to point of entering OS) by disabling VMD (maybe it is VDM....the one where you can map pcie or SATA under it).    That got me in.   

The reason for the purchase of the 14900k was due to the watchdog errors I kept receiving BSODs on the 12700k which I purchased I believe mid January 2024.    All of these are running on the ASUS ROG STRIX 670 DDR4 WIFI MTHRBRD.     

I had gone with Puget's recommendations for Video editing in Premiere Pro.    The 14900k with the RTX4090 I figured might help encoding go blazing fast, but when not crashing, it is about the same as the 12700k .....I am encoding a video file at about the same speed on average:   ~for every minute of video content Prores HQ 422 processed it takes about a minute to process......4 hr video 30fps = roughly still 4 hrs of encode time.   January to the 12700k was after realizing a gaming chip like the i5 10700k was perhaps fast in single thread gaming applications, but not so much when needing cores.    Any guidance in that area is also appreciated.   Not sure what to say about the 12700k.   I thought it was great until the watchdog BSOD errors kept coming.     Usually resulting in corruptions and backups wouldn't fix the problem if they were also corrupted.     So on average I've had to do a full OS reinstall.....which isn't difficult except for the 100+ actually used video and sound applications.    Otherwise running 64GB 3200 DDR4 RAM and am stacked full with 4TB 990 Samsung SSDs (a couple Lexar SSDs as USBs) and given the need to restore from backups quickly, I am essentially copying a full image every 3 days of my OS SSD to an identical SSD.   BAR support is on and I did realize that unless IGPU mult-monitor was also on, the processors would not work with the Video card with regard to the encoding process.     Maybe AMD was the way as a video editor I should have gone, but  Intel has been my mainstay since DOS 3.0.    Not to mention, having to replace a board again plus ram.    So I am trying to avoid that scenario.       I am Round Rock, TX (about 2 miles away from DELL Headquarters) based and happy to collaborate on this if ever wanting a test example.    I work down at the Capital Complex for the state and it wouldn't be hard for me to swing by any Intel Austin location.    If you need log files or dump, just ask and I can include what I have.

0 Kudos
Matte85
Beginner

Hello,

I have also encountered the issue on the non-K series.
I have tried both a i9-14900K and a i7-14700 both crash when I play in FHD while when I increase the resolution to 2K no problem.
So it seems that the stability problem is also present in non-K CPUs...

I should add that the crash also happens using NVIDIA DLSS UPSCALING technology.

Regards,
Matteo

0 Kudos
Armani650
Beginner

This is pitiful . My 14900K running intel stock settings is still degrading , I bought  this on release and always ran intel specs . Eventually it started crashing doing unpacks and repacks , Now it crashes on every Unreal Engine game .. I keep turning down the settings until its stable which lasts a month then it starts crashing again , turn down settings , after a month crashes again, soon i will be running i5 speeds ! What is Intel doing ? Nothing? are we going to have to start a class action lawsuit , These faulty CPUs need to be recalled or refunded... 

0 Kudos
DocratesCR
Beginner

Yes, the exactly same issue here. It was stable even with the new BIOS update. But now I have to reduce to 54x to get stable gaming and decompressing files.

I am going to send it to RMA, but Intel needs to do a public announce and recall all 13 and 14 cpus because of this. 

0 Kudos
RickWanders
Beginner
This has been so frustrating. Months of issues and intel is only now acknowledging it As an error in their manufacturing that caused this. Agreed, there should be a recall.
0 Kudos
CougarFYC
Beginner

I bought my 14700kf in January from amazon. retail package and have the receipt.  I also bought my wife a 13600kf   that as of now has no issues   I loved my pc and 14700kf with my Taichi light motherboard   .my  NZXT 280 mm AIO. my 2 sticks of pc6800 gskill ddr 5 memory and my Radeon 6950xt video card. and a crucial t500 2 tb m.2 . and a 1000 watt power supply. at first it all worked great. I would get a score of over 15,000 in performance test  .  don't laugh but I really loved my pc and thought I'd be happy with it for a while ....at least till the 15 gens comes out . 

Since my wife doesn't use her pc that much I have swapped processors with her. because of crashes or out of video memory errors and she doesn't use her pc all that much .  unlike me that's online for hours a day .

as far as when the crashes or errors started it was probably in may . about 3 months ago  . it would happen in sea of thief's , fallout 76 ,and me and a friend went on the first descendent last  Saturday and only after about 15 minutes i got the out of video error.

I am retired and am on my pc a lot with friends in a steam chat almost every day playing games together. 

so, the crashes became more and more frequent . so now so much I don't even want to use the CPU . 

for the time being ill use my wife's 13600kf but after paying  400 dollars for my 14700kf I am totally bummed  !!!!! I can't get thru a gaming session with my friends without crashing. I have updated my bios .I have tried recommend settings. and a few other recommendations from u tube videos  . But no matter what I get the crashes or out of video error messages    

Ps . Im telling you my CPU is broken and i would like a rma Please . 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@CougarFYC 

You cannot request an RMA here. You need to start the process at the Warranty Information site.

I would add, however, that it is possible that all you need is the updated microcode (which Intel promised for mid-month). I suggest that you wait until your motherboard manufacturer releases a BIOS update that provides thus updated microcode. If the problem persists after this, then the RMA process should be started then.

...S

0 Kudos
CyberKnight
Beginner

Hmmm, thanks but this is a bandaid. This reminds me of the Pentium III 1.1 GHz faulty CPU. I bought an i9-14900KF last month from NZXT and now wish I had known about this faulty CPU before my purchase. I had heard the internet rumbling, but Intel blamed the MB manufacturers. Now it is evident Intel knew about this faulty CPU two years ago. Lame... I should have purchased AMD.

0 Kudos