Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Virtualization on Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400

idata
Employee

Hi,

Last week I bought a PC which has Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB).

This processor has following information printed on its box:

Freq: 2.80 GHz

Core: 45nm

FSB: 1066 MHz

Socket: LGA775

L2 Cache: 3MB

PCG: 06

Prod Code: BX80571E7400

S-spec: SLB9Y

MM # : 900516

FPO/Batch # : 3849A455

Ver# : E53246-001

Pack date: 02/26/09

My initial idea was to play with Intel virtualization technology. For the some purpose I bought this processor few days back.

But I installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on my machine and tried to run my system, then my PC got rebooted i.e. It was not able to run Virtual PC on the system.

Later I tried to find the reason for this and find out that this program requires Virtualization support on processor and unfortunately the processor which does not have this , so I am not able to run virtual machines on my computer.

Manier of the vendor sites are showing that this processor supports virtualization, so I bought this.

So is there any way I can run Virtual machine on this processor? If not then it seems that all my money gone waste.

Regards

Prashant, India

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Prashant,

E7400 (SLB9Y) does not support VT (Ref: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB9Y)

Before buying a processor, always refer to this URL: http://processorfinder.intel.com/ for CPU details and it's supported features.

Now, as for Virtual PC 2007, it should run even if the CPU does not support VT, which is not the case for Hyper-V, Xen, VMWare or other virtualization solutions that require VT enabled CPU and Motherboad.

Can you kindly state the model of your motherboard you are using? Let us see how we can help you on this cause Virtual PC should work on this even if though it's not VT enabled.

Write back to us, thank you!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

idata
Employee

Hi Javed,

Thank you very much for your early reply.

My motherboard is 'ASUS P5KPL - AM IN / SI '

Serial No.: 94M0AD098183

Part No.: 90-MIB8I0-G0UAY0KZ

LGA775, Intel G31+ICH7, Intel Core2 CPU ready, FSB 1333, D-CH DDR2 800, 6-CH HD Audio, 8 USB 2.0, Crash free BIOS 3, 10 / 100M LAN, Q-Fan, Vista Basic.RoHS Compilant, SATA 3Gb/s

In my case I am facing exactly different issue, as Virtual PC 2007 is not running and VMWare is working properly.

And I informed the vendors also about incorrect information, hence they have corrected it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

have you tried Sun's VirtualBox?

Excelent little virtualizaton software!

OJ

0 Kudos