Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14946 Discussions

What happens if I exceed the maximum frequency of RAM on the i5 12600kf processor?

Kanopus
Beginner
Hello everyone,

I recently installed an i5 12600kf processor and connected 5600 MHz DDR5 RAM to the motherboard. The CPU indicator lights up on the motherboard, reporting an error. The motherboard itself supports frequencies up to 6200 MHz

Could this error be caused by exceeding the maximum supported RAM frequency on the processor?

I have heard the opinion that the CPU reduces the RAM frequencies if they exceed the allowed maximum. It's true?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SmartOne_2000
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Kanopus,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

It is a great idea to confirm with us if the exceeding the memory speed supported by the processor can cause the issue that you are facing. We are more than glad to assist you.

To answer your question, it may be possible to use a compatible higher-speed memory on a system, but the speed will be downgraded to the maximum speed memory supported by the Intel Processor.

For this reason, it is highly unlikely that the problem is caused by the memory speed discrepancy.

Kindly provide the following information, so we can provide you more helpful information:

1. May we know the complete model of your memory? We will check if the memory is on the validated or tested list of the motherboard that you are using.

2. Additionally, may we also know the complete brand and model of your board? There are some boards that require a certain BIOS version before a CPU can work.

We will for your reply post.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Kanopus,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Kanopus, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. 

We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos