Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14642 Discussions

When exactly Intel Turboboost is deactivated in my i7-4700MQ?

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Hi, I have a Windows 8.1 x64 laptop, the Lenovo Y510P, with processor i7-4700MQ. The base freq. is 2.4GHz, but with Intel Turboboost it can reach 3.4GHz. My question is: when Intel Turboboost gets deactivated?

Is it something like "when it's hotter than 87ºC, it turns off"?

Or is up to Lenovo or the companie's laptop, that set their own values (temp values?)?

And a related question here:

I know that the i7-4700MQ can work below 105ºC, but, what is the highest temperature it shouldn't pass to have a large life span? 90ºC?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HMora3
Beginner

Processors are made based on a thermal design power, so your i7-4700MQ model was designed to work at an established temperature (100 ° C), can be very difficult to keep it working below that. In special in a laptop.

plis read the next link. You could find information that will help a lot

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/721000-i7-4700mq-47-watt-vs-i7-4702mq-37-watt-2.html i7-4700MQ (47 Watt) vs i7-4702MQ (37 Watt) - Page 2

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Not found an answer for none of the 2 questions...

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Chomax.001,

I think you may be misunderstanding how temperatures affect processor operation. Intel processors have a maximum safe temperature, usually published as Tcase or Tjunction. This is the MAXIMUM temperature a processor will reach before it shuts itself down to avoid damage. Lower temperatures are not a problem and are always good for processor operation.

rambomhtri,

It is important to say that Intel® Turbo boost will only be in effect when the processor is operating within a combination of voltage and temperature limits. These limits will vary slightly from processor to processor.

rambomhtri
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. So:

1. Tjunction is 100ºC, that means that EVERY i7-4700MQ will shut down if it reaches 100ºC (more or less)?

I've read that TJ is a temperature that indicates the maximum temp CPU can work correctly. And from 100ºC, it can work well or not, and if there's a heat problem, it shuts down. But I didn't know that it shuts down at that temp, is that right?

2. Intel Turbo Boost gets deactivated depending on each CPU? I don't understand that. It isn't like "all i7-4700MQ deactivate ITB when they reach more or less a temperature, like 90ºC"?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Your are correct. The Tjunction is the maximum temperature a processor will reach before it shuts itself down. The correct temperature of a processor can be between 30c to 78c depending on the workload but if it goes higher it is necessary to check the airflow in the case, thermal paste, Cooling solution correctly setup, etc…

In regards the Intel® Turbo Boost, I meant to say that it will be activated depending on a combination of several things such as voltage, temperature, workload, etc… but it depends on the processor model (not all of them are the same).

Here you have a link that shows an example of how Intel® Turbo Boost works in Intel® Core i5 processors (very similar with Intel(r) Core i7):

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/CS-032278.htm

0 Kudos