Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Which is the correct VROC key for X299?

SEric
Novice

I have gotten conflicting answers from various sources (including Intel)

VROCISSMOD

VROCSTANMOD

VROCPREMMOD

Thank you

0 Kudos
33 Replies
idata
Employee

birdman941: As soon as I get any updates I will let you know.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

birdman941: I just wanted to let you know that after the research we did, to confirm if the new 900P can be used with the VRCISSDMOD or VROCSTANMOD key, it will depend on the specific board, so that is something that you will need to check also with the motherboard OEM manufacturer.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

This is great news for people who like quality and going fast.

I have a vrocstanmod key and vrocissdmod key on the way.

The new 900P threw a wrench into my initial configuration idea,

but FASTER IS BETTER.

I was hoping for a larger M.2 Optane drive, but PCIe is good too.

If Intel makes these systems go any faster, we are going to need a roll cage.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

birdman941: Thank you very much for sharing those details. It is great to hear that the information posted previously on this thread was useful for you.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RDunc1
Beginner

Greetings,

I have talked with Intel as well and I want to get some clarification if i could.

There are some third-party SSDs like the Samsung SM961 listed as VROC verified. The data sheet tho says it is on the XEON platform and does NOT mention the x299 platform at all.

I'm not needing a bootable VROC Drive. What I would like is a non-bootable VROC drive using third-party SSDs. I have seen people who have been successful in creating a VROC RAID 0 drive using 4 Samsung 960Pros, but when they create the drive using IRST, it shows that there is a Trial period of 90 days. When the trial period ends, the drive will be locked. These people have tried a VROCSTANMOD key but when they install it on their x299 motherboard, the Samsung 960 pro are not visible any longer in IRST to create a VROC RAID 0 drive. The key also kills the VROC RAID 0 drive they had created under the IRST Trial period.

Question: Why will IRST allow users to create a non-bootable VROC RAID 0 array with a trial period, but the moment a VROC key is inserted this option is no longer available? Why have it work with the trial and not with a VROC key we actually purchase? We are purchasing a license after all.

Question: I have several Samsung SM961s. These are verified VROC capable under the XEON platform. Can I create a non-bootable VROC drive using 2 or more SM961 drives without a trial period? If not, would buying a VROC key allow me to do so using the Sm961s?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Brighttail: In order to get the information that you are looking for, please submit your inquiry on a new thread, an agent will further assist you with this matter:

/community/tech https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I am getting ever closer to build completion.

I was able to find a curious website with screenshots.

X299 Board with 3 Optane drives, and a "Premium" VROC key?

I thought only the VROCISSDMOD key works on X299.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

http://optane.weebly.com/ XTREMESYSTEMS - Home

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

birdman941: In regard to your inquiry, the manufacturer of the motherboard is the one that determined which Intel keys will work with their platform and how many drives will be supported. So, if you need additional details about this matter, please get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

Thank you for adding yet another "not my fault" non answer.

This will be my final Intel build.

Later

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Steven, did you actually read that response? What part of "ASUS controls the keys accepted on their platforms" didn't you understand? This is not a "not my fault" issue; it is an ownership issue. Contact the owner for this information.

...S

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

Actually I did.

The twisting, turning, misinformation highway pertaining to VROC and keys has escaped you.

I received incorrect "Technical support" from Intel on these very boards,

costing me quite a few bucks for hardware INTEL SAID was compatible,

only to have them later say,

"Oh, my bad, it's not compatible"

You cannot read the final chapter of the book and think you have read the entire thing,

0 Kudos
SEric
Novice

I just saw on mouser.com website that the VROCISSDMOD VROC key is

"End of Life: Scheduled for obsolescence and will be discontinued by the manufacturer"

Is that true and why?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

birdman941: You will need to confirm that information directly with the OEM manufacturer of the board as well.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos