Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14590 Discussions

Why is the 14900k such garbage?

14900kistrash
Beginner

I dont know what I am doing wrong, probably never going to buy an Intel processor again after this experience. I bough a 14900k in October basically the day they came out upgrading from a 9900k and I got a dud. Issues everywhere with blue screens and crashes and no I never overclocked it. Microcenter told me it was the issue with the CPU and I got a replacement of the 14900k a month later. Ever since then I have continued dealing with issues with this CPU that I have never dealt with before on my 9900k.  I also changed the mobo just in case it was an issue with that as well.

This thing is not stable at all. I even undervolted it to 5.5 on the intel side of things and it is just complete garbage. I cant even update my mobo bios with this POS in it. The thing that really sucks is that I upgraded to a water cooled system and I am dreading taking this thing apart to return this garbage. 

Long story short, I am probably just gonna sell my PC and build a new one and buy AMD because I never had any problems running a Ryzen 9 unless someone can tell me what I need to do to make this garbage more stable. I am tired of every game crashing, every 3d cad software crashing, blue screens once every 2-3 hours. 

Seriously intel, did you guys do any compatibility testing when you came out with this garbage CPU? The fact that I got two in a row that are completely unusable is beyond comprehension. 

Rant over, what can I look at to make this better?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmovups
New Contributor I

You are not alone having problems with Intel's 14th gen i9, i have a similar situation, bought it soon after release and the only difference is for me the crashes are a lot more vicious, some software never crash while other crash within 2 hours, stress tests don't crash because the CPU throttles on a good air cooler and also never reaches the advertised 6Ghz one and two core speed since stress tests are an all core load.

However i strongly suggest you seek a refund instead of selling, insist that the entire 14th gen is like that and get a refund on the motherboard and RAM while you're at it since the motherboard is incompatible with not-Intel and i don't know if the RAM will be able to operate at the recommended settings for not-Intel...

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@vmovups 

In defense of the i9-14900K, I purchased one for my son. He built his machine, is a gamer, and has ZERO problems with the processor.

Your statement is very broad and condemning the entire lot, when I believe many of these "problems" are self-inflicted.

We shall see...

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
vmovups
New Contributor I

I've seen people in the forum complain of their 14th gen i5 or i7 machine BSODing or resetting, it was a reference to them.

I don't think we're self inflicting this, The CPU and motherboard were installed correctly, the shop i bought it at replaced the CPU and reseated both it and the cooler, also confirmed the motherboard has no damaged pins.

It's also possible your son just has a use pattern that does not trigger the crashes, or is blaming CTD crashes on the game/app rather than the CPU, or perhaps the CPU just has yet to become unstable, there are too many variables to tell.

0 Kudos
higz
Beginner
Make sure to install latest updates for drivers your bios is updated and why can’t you update the bios?You need to update to the latest bios. And try disabling XMP.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

And, make sure you are not running "Norton 360 for games" application that has turned on: game optimizer. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you check one of those solutions?

Leon

0 Kudos