Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14658 Discussions

Why is the Intel i5-9400F not running as expected?

LoadingHai
Beginner

Hi, I have a problem with my CPU, I bought it around 1 - 2 years ago. It runs CPU usage games (eg ; Minecraft(49 fps), Valorant(100 fps)) at low frames. It is mainly minecraft but also my computer freezes a little when I open apps. I thought that this CPU is pretty good, especially because my brother with a very old CPU runs Minecraft better. I have 6 cores enabled/threaded and please could someone help me.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LoadingHai
Beginner

It shows that it is at 70 fps, but it really is at 48.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Also, make sure your bios is updated.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LoadingHai
Beginner

Okay, heres the report, tell me if it works on not, thanks!

0 Kudos
LoadingHai
Beginner
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Did you update your bios like I asked?

Run the IPDT:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html

0 Kudos
LoadingHai
Beginner

No, sorry, I am extremly certain it has nothing to do with my bios, and I dont really want to, and I have asked a company that tried to fix it, and they said it was not my bios, but they don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I do not believe that the processor is responsible. Let's remember that this is a processor that does not include a graphics engine. You have an add-in graphics card that is responsible for all graphics output and it is almost solely responsible for the frame rate generated. Regardless, Al has provided you with the correct approach to investigating this issue. Update your BIOS to the very latest and then run the iPDT. That's the only way you are going to know properly.

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, to add to Scott's comment, your board's bios  does not even support your processor.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-VDH-PLUS/support#cpu

Get a supported processor, or a board that supports the i5-9400F. 

And, when you do correct this issue, make sure you are running in UEFI and NOT legacy mode.

0 Kudos
LoadingHai
Beginner

Ok, I don't really want to get a new graphics card or anything, so I will try update my bios, and if it doesn't work, I will just live with the graphics card until I'm forced to get a new one.

0 Kudos
LoadingHai
Beginner

One more thing, could you tell me what to do to make my bios support my cpu, 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You woulld have to contact MSI and have them do that.  It is THEIR bios.

0 Kudos