Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14733 Discussions

XMP PROBLEM

KduSiqueira
Beginner

Hello everyone, good evening everyone. I hope you had an excellent end of the year. I currently have a PC Gamer with the following configurations:

1. Sharkoon SKILLER SGC1 RED ATX Case

2. ASRock Z490M PRO 4 Motherboard

3. Intel Core I5-10400 CPU

4. Kingston Fury Beast RGB Memory, 32GB (2x16GB), 3600MHz, DDR4, CL17, Black - KF436C18BB2AK2/32 (I don't understand why CL17 appears if in All Programs Including the BIOS Confirms that it is CL18)(XMP 1 3600Mhz does not go up In no way, just the XMP 2 which is 3000Mhz. I don't know if my CPU or motherboard is being a limiter)

5. Super Flower LEADEX III 750W, 80 Plus Gold, Active PFC, Full Modular, SF-750F14HG

6. Crucial SSD 1TB, NVMe Pcie, Read 3500MB/s + Write 3000MB/s, P3 - Ct1000p3SSD8

7. RTX 4060 EAGLE OC Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce, 8GB GDDR6, DLSS, Ray Tracing - GV-N4060EAGLE OC-8GD (It is PCI 4.0, and My motherboard Only Has PCi 3.0 Slot)

I urgently need to know what is happening with the memories, if there is any incompatibility or if the memories were defective, because it is fair if I bought a 3600mhz that it stays at that frequency.

Thank you in advance...

Eduardo Siqueira

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

KduSiqueira, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

For this scenario, it is important to mention that the memory controller is located in the processor. So, the processor is the one that indicates which type of memory RAM to use. In this case, the memory RAM fully compatible with the Intel® Core™ i5-10400 processor is 

DDR4-2666, as you can confirm in the following link:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199271/intel-core-i5-10400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

So, if you use an XMP profile higher than that value, such as 3600MHz or 3000Mhz, you are forcing the processor to run at speeds it does not support which will create inconsistencies in the performance of the overall system.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KduSiqueira
Beginner

"For this scenario, it is important to mention that the memory controller is located in the processor. So, the processor is the one that indicates which type of memory RAM to use. In this case, the memory RAM fully compatible with the Intel® Core™ i5-10400 processor is DDR4-2666"

I completely agree with you, however, EXPLAIN THIS TO ME? The default memory in the bios never reached DDR4-2666, only DDR4-2133. And now? What do you think it could be? The memory standard is already DDR4-2400, which means it's a mess.

Bios.jpgScreenshot_1.jpgSpecifications_KF436C18BB2AK2_32.jpgTask_Manager_Memory_Default.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

AFAIK, the process that most BIOS utilize is as follows:

1. Initially, the BIOS will attempt to use the enabled XMP profile.
  2. If that fails, the BIOS attempts to use the default profile. This is also starting point for non-XMP configurations.
  3. If that fails, the BIOS attempts to the the lowest profile (for DDR4, that's 2133).
  4. If that fails, the BIOS aborts POST.

In a normal, non-debug environment, all of this will happen without any indication other than BIOS POST seeming to take a little longer than usual to complete.

In your case, 

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
KduSiqueira
Beginner

After several tests, including with the memories on another PC, I believe that the CPU/MOBO is what is limiting the XMP of the memories. Therefore, there is nothing to do. Thank you and you can close the topic.

0 Kudos