Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14659 Discussions

XTU Speed Optimizer not Supported after Update

princeOfBengal

Hello, I recently updated Intel XTU to v 7.14.0.15 an am unable to use Intel Speed Optimizer. It tells me that Speed Optimizer is not supported. I do not understand how previous versions of XTU allowed me to use Speed Optimizer and the latest one does not. My PC Specs are:

• Intel i5 13600K
  • Asrock Z790 Pro RS motherboard
  • Windows 11 HE

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SteveI
Novice

Ok, I got 7.14.0.15 working, but there's definitely an issue that Intel needs to look at. Here's what I did:

I saw this in the XTU release notes:

"In certain system configurations, Virtualization Based Security (VBS) and OS features that enable VBS are incompatible with XTU. In these cases, XTU is unable to function when these features are enabled."

So I figured I'd try disabling VBS, which you probably don't want to do. I did a quick search and found this article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/disable-vbs-windows-11

I followed steps 1-4 and found that it was still enabled, so I did steps 5 & 6, but the key wasn't there.

I then uninstalled Virtual Machine ( as outlined in the same article under the "How to Disable Windows VBS By Uninstalling Virtual Machine" section) by turning off the feature. After rebooting, System Info still showed VBS as being enabled, but I figured I would try installing the new version of XTU anyway. After installing and rebooting, I went into XTU and was able to turn on optimization! I then started to reverse the steps that I had taken previously to try to figure out which of the above settings was the culprit:

• I turned on Memory integrity and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I turned on kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I re-added the virtual machine feature and rebooted: XTU still worked

So... XTU is now working and my settings are back to what they were before disabling/uninstalling them. As you can see, I was not able to identify which setting was causing the issue; however, Speed Optimizer 2.0 appears to be working again as it did in the previous version.

I hope this helps everyone.

Intel, please figure out what the underlying issue is so people don't have to jump through hoops to use this software. As a suggested enhancement: allow us to tweak the individual settings that Speed Optimizer 2.0 sets, using that as a starting point, specifically, the Turbo Boost Power Max settings...

View solution in original post

33 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi princeOfBengal,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to help you regarding the XTU Speed Optimizer that is not Supported after the Update.

To better assist you, we would like to ask for the following details:

• Is the Intel XTU working before in your system?
  • Is there another overclocking tool installed on your system?
  • Any recent changes that you have made before encountering the issue?

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
princeOfBengal
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello, princeOfBengal

In addition, may we also request you send a screenshot of the error that shows the issue?

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
princeOfBengal

Hello,

Intel XTU Speed Optimizer was working on my system before the latest update.

I do not have any other overclocking tool installed on my PC.

I made no changes to my system after the latest XTU update. Upon seeing that XTU no longer worked, I updated my motherboard's bios and tried to use XTU again. I still could not get the Speed Optimizer to work.

See screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
KZamiar
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem.
I was curious if the update would improve the overclocking performance and I have screenshots exactly before and after the update (19 Jan 2024).

See screenshot attached.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, princeOfBengal.

Thank you for providing these details. We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, princeOfBengal.

Please be informed that we're still performing further research and replicating the issue on this matter. We will get back and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

This is absolutely an issue with v7.14.0.15 as I uninstalled it and reinstalled v7.12.0.29 and it works fine.

i5-13600K

ASRock Z690 Steel Legend

Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22631

BIOS 17.03 1/10/2024

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

Ok, I got 7.14.0.15 working, but there's definitely an issue that Intel needs to look at. Here's what I did:

I saw this in the XTU release notes:

"In certain system configurations, Virtualization Based Security (VBS) and OS features that enable VBS are incompatible with XTU. In these cases, XTU is unable to function when these features are enabled."

So I figured I'd try disabling VBS, which you probably don't want to do. I did a quick search and found this article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/disable-vbs-windows-11

I followed steps 1-4 and found that it was still enabled, so I did steps 5 & 6, but the key wasn't there.

I then uninstalled Virtual Machine ( as outlined in the same article under the "How to Disable Windows VBS By Uninstalling Virtual Machine" section) by turning off the feature. After rebooting, System Info still showed VBS as being enabled, but I figured I would try installing the new version of XTU anyway. After installing and rebooting, I went into XTU and was able to turn on optimization! I then started to reverse the steps that I had taken previously to try to figure out which of the above settings was the culprit:

• I turned on Memory integrity and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I turned on kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I re-added the virtual machine feature and rebooted: XTU still worked

So... XTU is now working and my settings are back to what they were before disabling/uninstalling them. As you can see, I was not able to identify which setting was causing the issue; however, Speed Optimizer 2.0 appears to be working again as it did in the previous version.

I hope this helps everyone.

Intel, please figure out what the underlying issue is so people don't have to jump through hoops to use this software. As a suggested enhancement: allow us to tweak the individual settings that Speed Optimizer 2.0 sets, using that as a starting point, specifically, the Turbo Boost Power Max settings...

princeOfBengal

Thank you! This worked for me. I disabled VBS using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" menu. Then I turned on Intel XTU Speed Optimizer. After turning it back on, I turned VBS back on. Intel XTU continues to work after that.

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

Glad you got it working. Hopefully, Intel will push a new version shortly so people won't have to go through this...

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, princeOfBengal and SteveI.

Thanks for your feedback and we will take note of this. Please be advised that the Intel 13600K processor was not deliberately removed. We have been trying to find a way to restore and bring it back without requiring an update the users have to download. Moreover, we do not have a definite time for this to be fixed, but we assure you that we are working on fixing this in future releases.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Thanks for your feedback and we will take note of this. Please be advised that the Intel 13600K processor was not deliberately removed. We have been trying to find a way to restore and bring it back without requiring an update the users have to download. Moreover, we do not have a definite time for this to be fixed, but we assure you that we are working on fixing this in future releases.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Thanks for your feedback and we will take note of this. Please be advised that the Intel 13600K processor was not deliberately removed. We have been trying to find a way to restore and bring it back without requiring an update the users have to download. Moreover, we do not have a definite time for this to be fixed, but we assure you that we are working on fixing this in future releases.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos