Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14613 Discussions

XTU Speed Optimizer not Supported after Update

princeOfBengal

Hello, I recently updated Intel XTU to v 7.14.0.15 an am unable to use Intel Speed Optimizer. It tells me that Speed Optimizer is not supported. I do not understand how previous versions of XTU allowed me to use Speed Optimizer and the latest one does not. My PC Specs are:

• Intel i5 13600K
  • Asrock Z790 Pro RS motherboard
  • Windows 11 HE

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SteveI
Novice

Ok, I got 7.14.0.15 working, but there's definitely an issue that Intel needs to look at. Here's what I did:

I saw this in the XTU release notes:

"In certain system configurations, Virtualization Based Security (VBS) and OS features that enable VBS are incompatible with XTU. In these cases, XTU is unable to function when these features are enabled."

So I figured I'd try disabling VBS, which you probably don't want to do. I did a quick search and found this article:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/disable-vbs-windows-11

I followed steps 1-4 and found that it was still enabled, so I did steps 5 & 6, but the key wasn't there.

I then uninstalled Virtual Machine ( as outlined in the same article under the "How to Disable Windows VBS By Uninstalling Virtual Machine" section) by turning off the feature. After rebooting, System Info still showed VBS as being enabled, but I figured I would try installing the new version of XTU anyway. After installing and rebooting, I went into XTU and was able to turn on optimization! I then started to reverse the steps that I had taken previously to try to figure out which of the above settings was the culprit:

• I turned on Memory integrity and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I turned on kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection and rebooted: XTU still worked
  • I re-added the virtual machine feature and rebooted: XTU still worked

So... XTU is now working and my settings are back to what they were before disabling/uninstalling them. As you can see, I was not able to identify which setting was causing the issue; however, Speed Optimizer 2.0 appears to be working again as it did in the previous version.

I hope this helps everyone.

Intel, please figure out what the underlying issue is so people don't have to jump through hoops to use this software. As a suggested enhancement: allow us to tweak the individual settings that Speed Optimizer 2.0 sets, using that as a starting point, specifically, the Turbo Boost Power Max settings...

View solution in original post

33 Replies
Nitay
Beginner

Hi, 

I hav the same issue with 13600K after updating to 7.14.1.12 - intel speed optimizer 2.0 not supported when trying to "optimize now".

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks

Nitay

0 Kudos
DirkDjently
Novice

I have recently started having the same problem - I have been using the Speed Optimizer just fine. Then yesterday (5 April 2024) I opened the app to check my OC and saw that the overclock was no longer applied, and when I clicked the Optimizer button, I got the message saying it was not available. No idea when my overclock turned off, but it had to be within the last week or so based on when I last think I opened the app to check, and I do see that my motherboard has recently had a new BIOS released less than a week ago (version 20.02), so I don't know if that is maybe an issue? My relevant hardware is:

• i5-13600K
  • ASRock Z690 PG Velocita motherboard with 19.02 BIOS version
  • Windows 11 Pro completely updated as of 6 April 2024

This was happening with the 2nd most recent version of XTU, and is still happening after I updated to the latest version. I have tried turning off VBS following the guide mentioned in this thread and that did not work. I am about to try updating my BIOS and trying Speed Optimizer again and will follow up with the results. I made an account to add my input because of how similar my hardware is to others I've seen mentioned in this thread. Would love to see this fixed so I don't have to go through the whole rigamarole of testing different OC settings over and over to find a stable one that is only slightly better than the easy one-click solution of Speed Optimizer.

EDIT: Still not working after updating BIOS and re-enabling XMP and Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology and updating the DTT driver. Since I was in there, I also tried enabling "Intel Base Power Limit," and XTU Speed Optimizer does not work with it either enabled or disabled. I have also been getting an explorer.exe error when shutting down and restarting - "The instruction at 0x00007FFE136A3ACA referenced memory at 0x0000000000000024. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program." Error comes up and automatically closes when restarting and shutting down. No idea if that's related but figured it was worth mentioning.

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

Unfortunately, it looks like that previous work around no longer works. Instead of Intel fixing the issue, it appears they made it worse for those of us with a 13600K. Until they fix the issue, I'd recommend installing an older version if you want the 1-click overclocking...

Nitay
Beginner
Do you know which version still had it working? Where can I find an older version?
0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

I backed it off to 7.12.0.29. That installs and works without having to jump through any hoops.

SteveI_0-1712598611962.png

Nitay
Beginner
Do you know where can have link to a download for that version?
0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

I still have a copy of the installer from when I installed it last year, but you should be able to use Chocolatey to install it by running this from a PowerShell prompt that you started as Administrator:

choco install intel-xtu --version=7.12.0.29

You can find the documentation and package here, but all you need to do is run the above command: https://community.chocolatey.org/packages/intel-xtu/7.12.0.29#install

Make sure to uninstall the existing version, and reboot, before installing 7.12.0.29

DirkDjently
Novice

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately after uninstalling and rebooting, whenever I try to download, I just get an error saying the file doesn't exist, is unauthorized or is forbidden for the URL, I think for one of the package dependencies. This happens for the version you suggested and for the version from the plain "install intel-xtu" command. Picture attached of error message if you care to take a look, but I'm not asking you to be my tech support, the suggestion to try this was more than enough.

Googling around for ideas on what to do to try to fix this, but I might just need to settle for tinkering my own overclock for now.

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

Looks like Intel pulled access to the older download - not cool...

Here's the copy of the installer I have from last year

DirkDjently
Novice

My goodness, you are awesome, thank you!

0 Kudos
SteveI
Novice

My pleasure - hope it helps.

DirkDjently
Novice

I checked in on the 7.14.1.12 version last night and the Speed Optimizer 2.0 looks like it's working for me again

0 Kudos
Nitay
Beginner

@DirkDjently Thanks for the post, I also checked now and it works! I wish Intel eng. can explain what the heck is going on here...

0 Kudos