Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14714 Discussions

XTU reports Video Memory wrong

NerdAl
Beginner

XTU sees my RTX 3070 8G as 4Gb - Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX DDR4 motherboard F9 bios.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello NerdAl, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we can confirm that at this time there is no immediate fix for displaying the incorrect value of video memory.  It seems that the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) the Intel® XTU is using to display video memory is capped at 4GB, and consequently not showing the full 8GB. Your issue has been recorded and will be worked on to incorporate accurate video memory in future releases.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

NerdAlThank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was Intel® XTU properly reporting the Memory RAM size before on this specific machine?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
NerdAl
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Yes, this is a new computer.  No, I had not used XTU before, therefore I have no history on previous logs.

This not an issue, this is a bug in the software, other software like CPUID or HW Monitor show the correct value.

The computer was fresh installed and all drivers have been updated.

This happens at home.

I have attached the SSU log and a screenshot showing the 8Gb VRAM

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving,

Al

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

NerdAlThank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

For this scenario, it is important to mention, as you can see in the link below, that on Windows* 10 and 11 and depending on the graphics controller being used, the Operating System will actually report half of the size of the Memory RAM as a graphics memory and this is an expected behavior of the system itself. Please look under "What is the maximum amount of graphics memory or video memory my computer can use?" tab:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020962/graphics.html 

Based on that, I will do further research on this topic in order to confirm if this is an expected behavior of the tool or if there is a possible solution to try to fix this bug in the software. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you too.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello NerdAl, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we can confirm that at this time there is no immediate fix for displaying the incorrect value of video memory.  It seems that the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) the Intel® XTU is using to display video memory is capped at 4GB, and consequently not showing the full 8GB. Your issue has been recorded and will be worked on to incorporate accurate video memory in future releases.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

NerdAl
Beginner

Team:  Thanks for looking into this.  Really appreciate your time and effort on this topic.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

NerdAl, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

We are glad to help. Thank you also for selecting our response as "Accepted Solution", we are sure it will be very helpful and useful for all the peers looking at this thread.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos