Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14812 Discussions

XTU watchdog

Mikey-Cai
Beginner

XTU says "Your system will not be able to recover to a valid stateautomatically Watchdog coverage reverts your system to system defaults automaticallyif your proposed settings turn out to be invalid once they are applied.This feature is currently unavailable.lf your system becomesunresponsive, you will have to manually restore to a stable state."

Does this mean that if I get a blue screen and system instability after modifying the voltage, it won't return to a safe state after booting?

I'm a rog laptop and it does have watchdog. After a reboot somehow it was gone, then I updated the bios and watchdog was there again, then rebooted a couple times and it was gone again.pretty wried hahaha

Can you tell me how to turn on watchdog other than updating the bios? There is no such option within the bios.

Thanks~

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mikey-Cai
Beginner

i9-14900hx laptop~

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mikey-cai,

Thank you for creating a thread in Intel Communities.

Having a setting that intermittently gets lost is worrisome. We will work with you to find a solution to your concern.

Please allow us to get the following information, which we will use to formulate suggestion for your issue:

1. It would really help us if we can get more information about your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page. To run it, please press "Scan". After the scan is finished, click next and there will be a save button, giving you an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply. You can refer to How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows* for instructions.

2. When did you start experiencing the problem? Was it working for a long time then all of a sudden, you start losing the Watchdog functionality?

3. May we know the version of your Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU)?

4. Your issue may be related to what is being discussed on this article, Intel® XTU Profiles Not Loading After Reboot. You may be find the answer helpful on that article. Please reach out to Asus to confirm this.

We will wait for your response.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Mikey-Cai
Beginner

My computer is new and just worked for half a month. This problem appeared after a week of use (I didn't download xtu in the first week and I don't know how watchdog works).

XTU 7.14.1.12 should be the latest

Can you tell me what it means when watchdog is off, and if I blue screen and reboot after modifying the cpu voltage in xtu, is it still safe to reboot and automatically go back to the voltage that was safe to begin with when watchdog is off?

thank you :)

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Mikey-cai,

Thank you for your response.

There are a lot of consequences when a board does not support for the watchdog driver. First,  the parameters that you set in Intel XTU will reset after a reboot and this is the one referenced on the article. Second, and more importantly, it is possible that you would not be able to revert to an stable state after a BSOD.

Due to these reasons, it would be best if you consult with Asus for overclocking options that you have inside BIOS or if they have their own software that allows you to set different profiles.

We hope for your understanding on the statement above.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos