Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14515 Discussions

Xeon 8368 or 8368Q in immerion cooling

Eason_Chen
Beginner

Hello,

Would like to know if Xeon 8368 can be used in immersion cooling system, or Xeon 8368Q is the only option?

And regarding previous Xeon of Cooper Lake, there is no such model type suggested for liquid cooled SKU as Xeon of Ice Lake. Is it true?

Thanks & best regards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Paul_R_Intel

Hello Eason_Chen,

Thank you for joining the community

I understand that you are looking for immersion cooling compatibility for the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8368. I will be more than glad to help you with this inquiry.

Let me investigate further to provide the correct recommendation. In the meantime, I'd like to know if I understand correctly, you have already confirmed the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8368Q compatibility with an immersion cooling system, can you please provide more information about your findings? Is the unit already in an immersion cooling system?

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Paul R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit: 

https://intel.com/support/serverbios 

0 Kudos
Eason_Chen
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I might have misunderstood this...

I find in Intel website that Xeon 8368Q is for Liquid Cooling usage and I thought Liquid Cooling includes immersion cooling.

Do you have any recommends or notices if Xeon CPU is used in immersion cooling systems?

Thanks & best regards,

Eason

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello Eason_Chen,

Thank you very much for your patience and time, based on the information on our site, the Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8368Q Processor is listed as optimized for liquid cooling but immersion cooling is currently not on the list. The aforementioned thermal solution is supplied by third-party manufacturers and utilizing it can void the warranty. Now, it does not mean that non-"Q" SKUs cannot be used with liquid cooling. With Q or non-Q SKUs, we would recommend checking with your system manufacturer on the validated liquid cooling solutions for their systems.

I would like to know if you plan on designing an immersion cooling system or if you are looking to implement it on your server?

Please allow me a couple of days to further investigate if we have more information on immersion cooling and what possibilities you have with Xeon processors.

Best regards,

Paul R. 

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello Eason_Chen,

I hope you are doing great, thank you for your patience and time, as you may already know Immersive Cooling is directly immersing the hardware in a non-conductive liquid. So it is not the same or can not be applied under the term "liquid cooling" and that is why it has not been validated by Intel.

We do not hold records of this cooling solution being used on our Xeon processors. After performing further investigation, names like AMAX, Green Revolution Cooling, showed up, we recommend you to look for deployed solutions from those companies and get a better understanding of this practice to know if this would be applicable for your use. Keeping in mind, this thermal solution is supplied by third-party manufacturers and utilizing it can void the warranty of your product.

Please let me know if there is anything else that we can do or if we can close the thread for you.

Regards,

Paul R. 

0 Kudos
Eason_Chen
Beginner

Hello Paul,

Thanks  for your reply and this is helpful.

I'll go contact third-party vendors for further requirements and you can close the thread.

Appreciated again.

Regards,

Eason

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello Eason_Chen,

Thank you very much for the follow-up, I am glad to hear that the information provided was helpful, we will proceed to close this thread after 2 business days. You can still re-open by replying to this thread. Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Regards 

Paul R. 

0 Kudos