Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14676 Discussions

Xeon E3 1230v2 server shuts off under load (prime95) when ECC is enabled and all 4 dimm slots are populated. Configuration worked without issues for 2 years. What is the likely culprit?

JFunk
Novice

When ECC is enabled, the system works with any 2 DIMMs in any two slots. When ECC is disabled, I can use all four DIMMs. No errors show up in prime95 for as long as I ran it. (6 hours) However if I have all four DIMMs populated (Using Kingston KVR16E11K4/32) with ECC enabled, the system shuts down in approximately 20 minutes while running prime95. No errors are ever displayed in prime95. Memtest also shows no errors. The memory, motherboard, and CPU are all under warranty, but I don't know which is at fault. System has worked well for over 2 years and developed this problem without any changes in configuration. Another OS was booted off USB (Ubuntu) to verify that this issue is not software related. The power supply was swapped as well. I need to determine which component to request an RMA for.

CPU: Xeon E3 1230v2

Mobo: Asus P8C WS

Mem: Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 (DDR3 1600 32GB [4*8GB] ECC )

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JFunk
Novice

The RAM was the cause of the problem. I got an advance RMA from Kingston. The issue was resolved on replacement of the memory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

As per specifications on the processor and the Intel chipset, they both support ECC.

I would recommend contacting your motherboard manufacturer for possible BIOS update or more troubleshooting assistance.

Additionally, try testing the processor with our processor diagnostic tool

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Allan.

JFunk
Novice

Thanks for your reply. I know it's not a compatibility problem, they all worked together for more than two years. I updated the bios and restored the defaults and the problem persists. Asus tech support hasn't been very helpful. They just tell me to swap out the parts one by one. I'll try the diagnostic tool and see what that tells me.

0 Kudos
JFunk
Novice

The RAM was the cause of the problem. I got an advance RMA from Kingston. The issue was resolved on replacement of the memory.

0 Kudos